cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash Diffuser

Obinna
Contributor

Hi, 

Does the Canon EOS M50 have a flash diffuser?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Obinna wrote:

A little technical to understand. But ok. 

Bottom line.  The onboard flash will drain your battery very quickly.  Buy an external flash made by Canon.  Many people have issues with the off-brand flashes from companies like Neewer and others.  [External flashes come with diffusers.]

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I am not sure what you mean by a diffuser, it is just the standard wimpy cobra-head flash. It certainly  has a plastic lens, but I would not call it a diffuser.

it is just something to scatter the light to make it softer. My flash is too hash and bright 

If you have the M50 and want a diffuser, check out the goofy looking (IMHO) STO FEN OM-F1

"it is just something to scatter the light to make it softer."

You may or may not need a diffuser but if you want decent flash shots you need to buy a real flash.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I agree with Ernie, start with a real flash on the hot shoe and go from there.  Those built in flashes don't provide much output to start with and once you spread to soften (and also attenuate because none of those little diffusers approach 100% efficiency) you don't have a lot of light left.

A lot of the Canon (and I presume other) speedlight style flashes have some ability to bounce and diffuse built in and enough output that you will have more success with adding additional light shaping.  And you will probably soon want the flash to be remote from the camera so if you go for a speedlight style, make sure that it will be compatible with remote operation. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@Obinna wrote:

Bottom line.  The onboard flash will drain your battery very quickly.  Buy an external flash made by Canon.  Many people have issues with the off-brand flashes from companies like Neewer and others.  [External flashes come with diffusers.]

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements