cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flare Like Spot In Corner of Some Images

saadhameed
Contributor

I have a Canon 5D Mk. III and a Canon 24-70mm L series lens. Have had the camera for a few months, love it so far. Was shooting a model today and had a weird issue. After the shoot, was uploading the pictures and notices images that we shot near the end of the day had this weird flare like spot or bloom in the bottom left corner. Only showed up sometimes, and only when I shot portrait style, not landscape style. Showed up sometimes, didn't show up other times. Thought it was a flare but we were shooting in the shade and it showed up mulitiple times and different locations but on the same left corner every time. Is it a spot on the sensor? Smudge on the lens? Internal light leak? Very confused. Attached a few pictures, hopefully someone can help.

400A2299.jpg

400A2232.jpg

400A2279.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

@saadhameed wrote:

I have a Canon 5D Mk. III and a Canon 24-70mm L series lens. Have had the camera for a few months, love it so far. Was shooting a model today and had a weird issue. After the shoot, was uploading the pictures and notices images that we shot near the end of the day had this weird flare like spot or bloom in the bottom left corner. Only showed up sometimes, and only when I shot portrait style, not landscape style. Showed up sometimes, didn't show up other times. Thought it was a flare but we were shooting in the shade and it showed up mulitiple times and different locations but on the same left corner every time. Is it a spot on the sensor? Smudge on the lens? Internal light leak? Very confused. Attached a few pictures, hopefully someone can help.

You've got better eyesight than I have, I guess. I don't see anything flare-like in any of the pictures. The third has a pinkish formation in the lower left corner, but it's about as oof as its surroundings and could easily be interpreted as just an object in the background (inside a passing automobile?). All flare spots I've ever seen were much more clearly defined than anything I can see here.

I assume you were able to see the spots in the RAW images and not just in the converted JPEGs?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Being circular, it does make the lens suspect.  Of course the easy thing to do it try the lens and camera with different equipment.  You have access to another camer and lens to switch around? Maybe borrow something?

It is not the mode "landscape" or "portrait".

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Did some test this morning. No issues. Tried to recreate the shooting settings and factors as much as possible. Experimented, used varying shutter speeds, distances, angles, etc. No issues. Hmmm. I'll keep an eye on it I guess. I'm leaning to one of two things. Shutter failure, which is insane since I take care of my camera and it's barely 4 months old. Or it could have been that the UV filter wasn't screwed on properly or was lose, letting light leak in. Will monitor, update if it comes back. Thanks guys.

"Being circular, it does make the lens suspect."

I repeat, this is the place to look.  And it could also and most likely be the filter.  It is circular and a dead give away.

It is not the shutter nor the sensor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements