cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First DSLR for filming

s_marcell
Contributor

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a DSLR for filming purposes. I have been recently watching reviews and video footages to see which is the best for me. Obviously a 5d mark II or III would be the best choice but unfrtunately I cannot afford it.

I have also checked the 60D which looks amazing because of the lcd screen which is adjustable but it has lower image quality, the 6D which also has a full frame sensor as the 5D. But the 60D is cheaper.

Which one do you suggest?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

c1video
Contributor

I've used the 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, and T3i for professional productions. I've not used the 60D or 7D.  But, to start out, you can't go wrong with the T3i or T5i. The video is more than acceptable, and most viewers can't really tell the difference between the 5D Mark II and the T5i, not to mention the 60D. Now, the 5D Mark III is in another category altogether! The 5D Mark III is by far the best for DSLR video, but it's a little pricey for your first camera.

I would acquire the T5i (don't remember the non-US model number) and some good lenses. You can spend the difference between the T5i and 60D or 7D on some good non-S lenses that you can use as you upgrade bodies in the future. Spend your money on lenses first, then bodies.  Your lenses will serve you much longer than your bodies!

Once you know that a DSLR meets your shooting requirements (they're still-frame cameras first, and video cameras second), you can either sell your T5i or use it as a backup/second camera when you buy a 5D Mark III or other Canon DSLR. Keep in mind that there are major limitations with all DSLRs when it comes to video, and make sure you can live with those limitations.

The major benefit for video of the T5i is the fold-out LCD screen. You will be shooting from different angles (high or low), and you can adjust the screen to compose your shot. Otherwise, you'll need an external monitor, rig, or other relatively expensive gear to adequately compose your shots.

A previous poster mentioned the Panasonic GH3, and that is a great camera for video, but the product line is not as broad or deep as Canon's. I think your decision to say with the Canon product line is good. Good luck in your shooting!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

indeed, the second was created by Canon Australia with proper lighting and shot by professionals with a wide range of lenses. It is a demo to show the capabilities of the camera. Your results will probably vary considerably. In addition to mastery of the camera, there was undoubtedly considerable post processing of the clips. Those people absolutely know what they are doing. That's something we strive for.

I have a saying: the most important element is the person behind the camera, next important is the lens, and last is the camera body itself. If you check out Zacuto.com, you will see videocamera "shootouts" where they compare various video cameras. But note also that the camera manufacturer had to approve the camera operator and DP for each camera. 

I don't think it's fair to compare camera capabilities based on an upload to YouTube, as there are so many variables---but it's fun to do.  

check out this comprehensive review:   http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-700d-rebel-t5i/

Marcell, you should like me about five months ago when I got my first taste of DSLR shooting. I was so excited and loved what I could do, but I had little to no knowledge of what to get to make it all happen.

I HIGHLY suggest you take c1video's suggestion to call a local or EU camera store, only a camera store (not a big box store that sells electronics) and ask them questions. If you're worried that someone might steer you in the wrong direction (and it is easy to get that vibe from someone), tell that person, "thanks but no thanks" and hit the next store until you get someone honest who will help you.

You might want to consider Lynda.com's free weekly DSLR tutorials called DSLR Video Tips by Rich Harrington and Robbie Carman. Ben Long has a great series on Lynda.com about the 60D called Shooting with the Canon 60D. You can search for Ben's videos at Lynda.com (I hope you have access to this resource in the EU because that site is fantastic).

One thing to note that image quality is going to be pretty comparable between the 700D and the 60D. The lens will make the difference, really. What you need to focus on now is what you really want in a camera. Truth be told, you're going to have problems with the LCD screen on ANY DSLR. None of them are good. So I highly suggest getting either a separate monitoring system (which can be very expensive) or picking up an LCD viewfinder, like the GGS Perfect Foldable LCD Viewfinder 3X Magnification for Canon, Nikon, Sony and Other DSLR Cameras. What this does is block out most of the light to make it easier to get focus on a subject.

Thank you guys! you've helped me a lot, and will definitely check back as soon as I get my DSLR and let you know how I'm progressing:)

Another consideration is the 650D!

It's the same as the 700D (for all intents and purposes), is still available at most places, and is quite a bit less right now because the 700D is still new.

mbrand noted a shader for the LCD.  

I checked that product because I agree that shooting in the sun may be a problem with the screen extended. I would be concerned somewhat about the weight of the shade. From the photos I've seen posted, it seems that it might be a little heavy for the fold out screen.  Has anyone used that particular product?

Announcements