cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Updates for R5, R6, 1D X Mark III

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon USA Imaging on Twitter: "Uncover new photo and video possibilities for the EOS R5 with the fre...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
14 REPLIES 14

Also, If you still have V 1.3.0 on the R6 you should replace it with the just released V 1.3.1 (for R6 only). V 1.3.0 has a serious video bug on R6 bodies.

I also have the EF 100mm f/2.8 (non-L) macro, and a EF 70-300 I. Those lenses on the plain EOS EF-RF adapter (no ring) have mechanical focus rings. If they are set to AF the mechanical focus is locked. The only way I can have those lenses manually focus is to use the lens switch to change modes since it's not possible to move the focus ring with an "AF" lens setting. Having the camera control the lens focus MODE unction seems to only be possible with lenses that use "fly-by-wire" focusing where the focus ring is actually a digital encoder and is not physically coupled to the focus helix.

@Lotus7 wrote:

By "works as expected" do you mean that by simply turning the focus ring WITHOUT touching the shutter release OR pressing teh AF button the camera switches to manual focus? 

That's what the new "Full-Time MF" function is suppossed to do.  The R5 and R6 always previously had the option of MF switching IF the AF was actuated by a partial shutter press or a AF button press.   That's not what the "Full-Time MF" function does.

I see what you mean, now. I did more testing and was being fooled because I would manual focus then press the shutter and my focus point would turn green as it fired. I then manually focused, moved my focus point to something out of focus, and when the shutter was pressed, it focused on that point. Sorry I lead you down the rabbit hole 😞

I personally like this behavior because, with my setup on the 5D4, a half press activates IS. I shake pretty bad.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@Lotus7 wrote:

By "works as expected" do you mean that by simply turning the focus ring WITHOUT touching the shutter release OR pressing teh AF button the camera switches to manual focus? 

That's what the new "Full-Time MF" function is suppossed to do.  The R5 and R6 always previously had the option of MF switching IF the AF was actuated by a partial shutter press or a AF button press.   That's not what the "Full-Time MF" function does.

I see what you mean, now. I did more testing and was being fooled because I would manual focus then press the shutter and my focus point would turn green as it fired. I then manually focused, moved my focus point to something out of focus, and when the shutter was pressed, it focused on that point. Sorry I lead you down the rabbit hole 😞

I personally like this behavior because, with my setup on the 5D4, a half press activates IS. I shake pretty bad.

Newton

Thanks!   Unfortunately, Canon did not clearly explain what the "Full-Time MF" function actually was inteneded to do so its purpose is not at all obvious.  There is already a You Tube review of the V1.3.0 update in which the reviewer (who is an excellent portrait & wedding photographer) says the new MF function simply does not work.  It took some "digging" and several email exchanges with Canon Support to get to someone at Canon who actually could describe exactly what the function was intended to do.  The question now (which Canon currently won't answer) is if there will be RF lens firmware updates that will make this function available to the many popular focal length RF lenses that have already been sold to R, RP, R5, and R6 owners. 

Using the partial shutter press and then manual focus trim is certainly a reasonable solution, but there are occasional situations where one might want to pre-focus without having to switch the camera or lens to manual.  It's more of an issue with long teles and some macro lenses that can exhibit long focus delays because of their extended range. 

Guess we better get used to realizing that current cameras are really just computers that happen to take pictures, and will come with software and firmware updates periodically.

The video "bug" in V 1.3.0 for the R6 can be temporally corrected by removing the battery for 10 or 20 seconds, but will soon re-appear, so any R6 owners who have installed V 1.3.0 should get the "fix" by installing V 1.3.1 .  Apparently, this is a R6 issue only.

@Lotus7 wrote:

The video "bug" in V 1.3.0 for the R6 can be temporally corrected by removing the battery for 10 or 20 seconds, but will soon re-appear, so any R6 owners who have installed V 1.3.0 should get the "fix" by installing V 1.3.1 .  Apparently, this is a R6 issue only.

Thank you for the 1.3.1 tip. We rarely use video, especially my wife, who uses the R6, but it will get updated.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements