cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Updates for R5, R6, 1D X Mark III

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon USA Imaging on Twitter: "Uncover new photo and video possibilities for the EOS R5 with the fre...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
14 REPLIES 14

greggp
Enthusiast

I just received the same email and have downloaded eosr5-v130-win.zip. The description for the firmware updates includes this:

Notes:
The User Manual on our website has been updated accordingly. Please download the User Manual as well as the latest firmware. You can download it from the official website.

The following Applications have been updated accordingly:
- Camera Connect 2.7.30
- EOS Utility 3.13.20
- Digital Photo Professional 4.14.0
- Canon RAW Plugin 2.2 for Final Cut Pro X
- Canon RAW Plugin 2.7 for Avid Media Access
Please download the Applications as well as the latest firmware.

None of these updates are available on the Canon website. The User Manual is still the old version. The apps listed are still the older versions. For example, the EOS Utility is still v 3.13.10. Same for all the others being older versions.

Is there a different location for these files?

@greggp wrote:

I just received the same email and have downloaded eosr5-v130-win.zip. The description for the firmware updates includes this:

Notes:
The User Manual on our website has been updated accordingly. Please download the User Manual as well as the latest firmware. You can download it from the official website.

The following Applications have been updated accordingly:
- Camera Connect 2.7.30
- EOS Utility 3.13.20
- Digital Photo Professional 4.14.0
- Canon RAW Plugin 2.2 for Final Cut Pro X
- Canon RAW Plugin 2.7 for Avid Media Access
Please download the Applications as well as the latest firmware.

None of these updates are available on the Canon website. The User Manual is still the old version. The apps listed are still the older versions. For example, the EOS Utility is still v 3.13.10. Same for all the others being older versions.

Is there a different location for these files?

I have the R6 and just checked for the f/w and it was dated 3/30/21, so I grabbed that then looked for the manual. The manual d/l had an older date on it and while I was bitchin' about it, my wife said "They probably just haven't updated the date on the page". So, to humor her, I downloaded the manual, and it is the new one for 1.3.0. I didn't d/l the EOS Utility, which also has an older date, but I assume it's new as well. I use that, but not often, so I might get to it eventually 😉

**EDIT** Just checked DPP 4 via the "Check for Updates" in the program, and there is a new one. DPP 4 also had an older date on the R6 downloads page.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks! or, thank your wife for me.

BTW, I did download the EOS Utility and it is still the older one. Or, at least it is the same ZIP file that was posted back in October.

@greggp wrote:

Thanks! or, thank your wife for me.

BTW, I did download the EOS Utility and it is still the older one. Or, at least it is the same ZIP file that was posted back in October.

I used "Check for Updates" in the EOS Utility launcher and it updated the utility. Since I didn't lauch the utility, I don't know what version it is, but I did update it back in December of 2020 so it is newer than the December update.

The "Check for Updates" in the launcher isn't labeled, but is an icon.

EOS Update.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I'll add that if you use "focus by wire" to manually override AF, you will have to Enable it in the menu. The 1.3.0 update adds a control for it and sets it to "Disabled" as the default. My wife was shooting the moon and pink clouds this morning and was unable to manually focus with the lens set to AF. I had read about it in the "What's New" doc, and had forgoten about it, so all was good when I remembered what I had read and enabled it. I use that feature alot on my 5D4. It was confusing because I had used focus by wire when testing the R6 a few days ago.

I've installed the V 1.3.0 firmware update in my R5's and was interested in using the new "Electronic full-time MF" function which has been added to the AF menu, Tab-5, last line.  The V 1.3.0 Manual states that enabling this function will result in:  Manual focus adjustment is available whenever the camera is on"  [ V 1.3.0 Manual pp. 447]. 

However, on both my R5's and with all the RF lenses I've tried, the operation is exactly the same as it has always been.  If the shutter button is pressed halfway OR if the AF button is pressed, then turining the electronic focus ring wil provide manual focus override Just as it always has done since day one with a R5.  On my cameras, enabling this new setting changes absolutly nothing.  No manual focus is available "...whenever the camera is on" as the manual states.  I've tried changing the other obvious MF settings and none seem to actually enable this function. Have also written to Canon Support and am awaiting an answer.

Has anyone with a R5 tried using this and found that this function (allowing manual focus override of the AF mode WITHOUT touching the shutter release or the AF button) actually works?

FYI:  The latest current version of EOS Utility (for Macs) is V 3.13.20 and the new release of DPP (again for Macs) is V 4.14.0.0 and so far it seems to work fine under Mac OS 11.2.2 (Big Sur) at least on Intel Macs.  Haven't tried it on a M-1 Mac.

Don't usually reply to my own posts, but after an exchange of a few emails with Canon Support personnel, I've received an explanination that seems to clarify the issue about the "Full-Time MF" function not working on my R5s and a half-dozen Canon RF lenses.

It seems that this new menu function will ONLY work with two of the currently available RF lenses, and even those will require a lens firmware update.  The Canon representative did not say if there might be firmware updates for all of the other existing RF lenses.  

Here is a direct quote from his reply:

"At this time, there are only two lenses which support the full-time manual focus feature which are the RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM and RF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM lenses. These two lenses would require a firmware update which would be available on each of their product support pages on our Canon USA website."

It would have been nice if Canon included this critical bit of info in the release notes for the R5 V. 1.3.0 firmware update.  I'm sure I won't be the only photographer who will be disappointed that this "function" is really not functional for most current R5  owners.

@Lotus7 wrote:

Don't usually reply to my own posts, but after an exchange of a few emails with Canon Support personnel, I've received an explanination that seems to clarify the issue about the "Full-Time MF" function not working on my R5s and a half-dozen Canon RF lenses.

Thanks for the update. I've checked it on the R6 (1.3.0) with the EF lenses that we use most, and it works as expected.

Tested lenses were EF 100mm f/2.8 L macro, EF 100-400mm II L, and EF 70-300 II (non L).

By "works as expected" do you mean that by simply turning the focus ring WITHOUT touching the shutter release OR pressing teh AF button the camera switches to manual focus? 

That's what the new "Full-Time MF" function is suppossed to do.  The R5 and R6 always previously had the option of MF switching IF the AF was actuated by a partial shutter press or a AF button press.   That's not what the "Full-Time MF" function does.

Announcements