cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmmware update failure Canon EOS 6D

coldwaterjohn
Contributor
Despite following the download an application instructions assiduously, I keep receiving this error message:  
"Firmware Update Program: Update File Error. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again."
I have also reinitialised the data card, without success in updating the latest FIR.
How do I go about overcoming this issue with my Canon 6D?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

IN the absence of a solution I have shipped the camera back to Canon to let them resolve it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Peter
Authority
Authority

1. Exactly which card are you using?
2. Which firmware and which file size if you check the unzipped file?

I am using aScandisk Ultra 64GB SD Card.

My 6D was running on 1.1.18 and I am attempting to update to Firmware 1.1.19

In my opinion no need to update if you don't connect your camera to an unsecure WiFi access points. How often do you do that?

Peter

Thank you for that suggestion. However Iam at times connecting through "unsecure" wifi points, however even if I was not, this does not explain why Canon firmware will not upload into the Cano 6D. The FIR file has transferred to the SD Card and is showing on the root directory. Wht is not appening is the update from the card to the camera itself.

1. Try 32GB card or smaller file size.
2. Low level format the card.

3. Check the file of when the file is extracted onto the card, 6D000119.FIR should be 21,346,096 bytes.

Peter

This may be the reason for the failure...the downloaded  6D000119.FIR on my P.C.is showing as 20,846KB bytes.

I have tried downloading it twice now with same result??? 

@Peter wrote:

1. Try 32GB card or smaller file size.
2. Low level format the card.

3. Check the file of when the file is extracted onto the card, 6D000119.FIR should be 21,346,096 bytes.

Screenshot_20200319-185427.jpg

I have also tried downloading from this site: https://in.canon/en/support/0400526302/1

where indeed it shows as supposed to be of the byte size you indicate. However when you download the zip file and extract it, it comes out at the size I have already indicated to you...couriouser and curiouser!

Screenshot_20200319-190335.jpg

Announcements