cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Focal length info in camera 5dm3

paige5389
Apprentice

When i look at the info for a shot in the camera LCD, all of the info for the camrea settings are there except for the focal length.  Is there a way to see the focal length of the lens when the shot is made in camera?  Once i export the phot to Bridge or Lightroom, i can see the focal length.  I am using a 5dm3.

Thanks,

Steve

5 REPLIES 5

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The only way I know of to see the focal length is to install a 3rd party firmware called “Magic Lantern”.

Magic Lantern DOF info

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Just look at the lens, I know not in the camera, but is a far better idea than Magic Lantern.  If ML screws up and it does, believe me on that one, only Canon can repair it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Great info, ebiggs1.  Thanks for the relpy. 

@paige5389 wrote:

Great info, ebiggs1.  Thanks for the relpy. 

Great advice, IMHO.  A photographer usually knows what focal he is shooting, though.  It comes with practice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is embedded in the EXIF data of the files when you put them on your computer.  Nearly any photo editing program should let you view the info.  

From your question ... it made me wonder if you are "storing" all your shots on the memory card.  If so... don't do that.  Make sure you transfer the images to your computer.  (I also make a backup).  Then ... after you know everything has safely transferred without a problem ... wipe the card in preparation for the next time you go shooting.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements