cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filename settings in 90D

PLC3
Apprentice

Is there a way to change the file naming convention so that the camera appends the date taken to the beginning of the filename?  For example: "2020_11_18_IMG_1887.CR3".  I end up doing a batch rename in order to add the date whenever I download the files off the memory card, but would love to be able to skip this step.  I've looked through the camera menu and all I can find is a setting to restart the numbering scheme.  Camera is an EOS 90D.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There is not.

Digital camera file naming convention is 8 characters - four for the prefix and four for the file number(0000-9999).

Some of the high end Canon cameras allow for a custom prefix, but that is still limited to four characters.

If you use Canon EOS Utility you can create a custom renaming that will happen automatically when you download.

Screenshot 2020-11-21 103835.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There is not.

Digital camera file naming convention is 8 characters - four for the prefix and four for the file number(0000-9999).

Some of the high end Canon cameras allow for a custom prefix, but that is still limited to four characters.

If you use Canon EOS Utility you can create a custom renaming that will happen automatically when you download.

Screenshot 2020-11-21 103835.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

If you use Lightroom it can automatically rename your files upon import. No action form you is needed. You can even have different preset name settings for different cameras you might have or use.

Click the Rename Files box in the File Renaming panel.  If you want to make a custom option, choose “Edit” at the bottom of the drop-down menu.

If you want to make a custom option or preset, choose Edit.  Each drop-down menu below the large white box has several options for you to choose from.  When you find the one you like, click Insert.

Save these settings as a preset, click Save Current Settings as New Preset.  Give your preset a name and click Create.

That's all and your files will import with the name you want.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements