cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File numbering jumps 70D

dannyboy1975
Apprentice

Hello,

I process several photographer's images and some of them have this issue where the file numbering starts correctly from 0001 to somewhere in the 100s and then jumps to the 9000 (ex: 0120, 0121, 0122, 0123 - 9850, 9851, ... ).

File numbering is set to continuous. Fomratting the card doesn't help.

Anyone?

Thx, Danny

3 REPLIES 3

@dannyboy1975 wrote:

Hello,

I process several photographer's images and some of them have this issue where the file numbering starts correctly from 0001 to somewhere in the 100s and then jumps to the 9000 (ex: 0120, 0121, 0122, 0123 - 9850, 9851, ... ).

File numbering is set to continuous. Fomratting the card doesn't help.

Anyone?

Thx, Danny

Have the cards you're looking at been used in more than one camera? Has the photographer deleted some pictures in the camera? Is it possible that you're just looking at the pictures in the wrong order? Note that after reaching 9999, the camera will start again at 0000. If there are not actually pictures missing, I wouldn't worry about it. Just renumber the pictures to conform to the conventions of your workflow and be done with it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you mixing up cards in different cameras?

To expand on their questions.  If you take the card from one camera and put in one from another camera.  If the "new" card has been used and has a file number higher than the last shot taken with the previous card, the camera may use that as the baseline for numbering the next shot.

e.g. Card A has a last file number of 2111  You put in card B from another camera with the last file number of 6000, then take an image, the next shot will show as 6001.  If you put back card A the next file number is likely to be 6002.

If this is an issue, then low level format the card, and then do a manual file number reset.  That should take your count back to 0000.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements