cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fell in the mud with my Canon 7D :( Is it ruined???

JMomOhio
Apprentice

Sunk in mud up to my knees yesterday while trying to photograph close to a lake.  I was holding my camera with the lens pointing skyward, but the bottom left side of my camera went into the mud.  Is it ruined?  I have it drying right now hoping the mud will dry and I can brush it off.   

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

Only time will tell, but if it's just a quick dip in mud I would expect the 7D to be fine.  Take out the battery, clean off all that you can with a damp rag and old toothbrush, and let it dry thoroughly.

Assuming that the camera was in good condition before the accident and that it remains functional after it dries ...

If the mud got into any of the buttons or dials, you might want to send it to Canon to be professionally cleaned. If the dirt were to get ground in deeper, it could cause you problems later.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Don't turn it on.  Let it dry.  Clean it off.  And, forget it, it will be fine.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

JMomOhio
Apprentice
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I let it dry for a couple of days and then cleaned it with a damp cloth after using a soft toothbrush to get some of the bigger pieces of dried mud/silt. I turned it on and it seems to be working properly, but the dials are a bit stiff. I may send it off to Canon if the dials don't loosen up. Thanks again!! 😄

@JMomOhio wrote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I let it dry for a couple of days and then cleaned it with a damp cloth after using a soft toothbrush to get some of the bigger pieces of dried mud/silt. I turned it on and it seems to be working properly, but the dials are a bit stiff. I may send it off to Canon if the dials don't loosen up. Thanks again!! 😄

Muddy water damage is notoriously corrosive and you should have your camera service ASAP. The dirt granuals in suspension can penetrate hinges and dials leading to premature (read EXPENSIVE) repairs. Better to just bite the bullet and let the Canon staff give it a thorough cleaning.

Good luck.

@cale_kat wrote:

@JMomOhio wrote:

Muddy water damage is notoriously corrosive and you should have your camera service ASAP. The dirt granuals in suspension can penetrate hinges and dials leading to premature (read EXPENSIVE) repairs. Better to just bite the bullet and let the Canon staff give it a thorough cleaning.

Good luck.

I agree completely. Unless it was once dropped on a concrete floor or something, a 7D is too good a camera to just write off.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements