cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FD lenses, on the EOS 1v film camera?

michaelpowell
Contributor

Here's a wierd one for you: the F1N bodies are starting to cost more than the EOS 1v bodies. Using the adaptor which mates an FD lens to a digital cam body; has anyone put an FD on the EOS 1v? Would it even work? Or do I just have too much time on my hands? Thanx!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@michaelpowell wrote:

Here's a wierd one for you: the F1N bodies are starting to cost more than the EOS 1v bodies. Using the adaptor which mates an FD lens to a digital cam body; has anyone put an FD on the EOS 1v? Would it even work? Or do I just have too much time on my hands? Thanx!

Adapting FD lenses to a EOS 1V has the exact same problems as adapting an FD lens to any EOS Digital camera. 

The lens mount to film/sensor distance on an EOS camera is less [more] than that of an FD camera. This means any sort of plain adapter won't work. The adapter needs an optical element to correct for the different flange distance, since most adapters available are cheaply made with poor optics, you are much better off purchasing an EOS lens than an FD lens and an adapter.

There are a few higher end FD lenses that are an exception these can be converted to EOS mounts. 

http://fdtoef.com/

These conversions were originally offered by Ed Mika. I'm not sure if he sold the design or if the vendor above is the same person.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
There are several threads on that topic on the forum.

1. Yest, it will work, if you define work as being able to fit.
2. All functions would be manual.
3. Individual forum members have differing opinions on the value of the approach.
4. Do you have "L" grade FD lenses?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanx, John - actually, I run my F1 and my AE-1 on manual (I find the first gen auto exposure modes too slow). Besides, I've got more than 20 FD(new) lenses; I'm really not interested in buying a pile of EFs.  Don't have any L lenses; they're still to pricey for me.  M

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The EOS 1v is an interesting camera and has been discontinued.  You can find them pretty cheap on the used market.  But you need EF lenses.

It is a waste of time and money to adapt FD lenses to EF, IMHO.  But if you are gung ho on doing it, this is the body to do it with.  Smiley Happy I have tried this with many of my FD lenses both L and otherwise.  The results is always less that desirable.  Almost all equivelant EF lenses will make a better photo.  Also, remember no MF and no AE but that is how we used to do it!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs, thanx. on the youtubes, a lot of guys say the FDs produce great images on digital cameras. I appreciate your input.  M

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@michaelpowell wrote:

Adapting FD lenses to a EOS 1V has the exact same problems as adapting an FD lens to any EOS Digital camera. 

The lens mount to film/sensor distance on an EOS camera is less [more] than that of an FD camera. This means any sort of plain adapter won't work. The adapter needs an optical element to correct for the different flange distance, since most adapters available are cheaply made with poor optics, you are much better off purchasing an EOS lens than an FD lens and an adapter.

There are a few higher end FD lenses that are an exception these can be converted to EOS mounts. 

http://fdtoef.com/

These conversions were originally offered by Ed Mika. I'm not sure if he sold the design or if the vendor above is the same person.

TTMartin, thanx. I didn't know that. I thought the adapators would put the FD lens on the EOS body, and then you just worked manually. Good info.  M

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The reason I asked about L is cost of replacing might make adapter a cost-benefit. But 20+ FDs is similar. Try getting adapter from a store with return policy.

I read on a different forum about Ed Mika. A little cryptic, but it seems he is well but hadn't been available via email.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have a couple Ed Mika adapters.  I have talked with him on the phone.  They are the best there is.  However, the old FD lenses are not so good.  At least when comparing them to a same for same EF lens.  The only real value is to convert the old big white teles.  And then simply because the lenses cost so much.  If you go this route be ready to deal with lots of CA.

As you might expect Canon has made big strides in lens technology sine the FD days.  It shows!  Plain and simple.  Bottom line, EF lenses are higher quality than FD lenses.  (I have 30 FD lenses.  Believe me if I could get them to work, I would.)

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements