cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FD-EOS lense not working

benbotto
Contributor

I have a CIMKO 80-200m lens from my old camera and I was advised by a friend that if I purchased an FD-EOS converter the lens would be workable. I purchased said converter which fitted fine but the lens, when I look through the viewfinder is badly blurred. Can anyone advise if this can be rectified in any way, say, by an adjustment within the camera or some other method?

I also have an old 55mm LENMAR ultra wide macro lens, is there an adaptor for this? It has a screw thread at the rear of the lens. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray-uk
Whiz

Using old manual focus lenses with your Canon can be quite hard work, as has already been pointed out you need to focus manually and the modern viewfinder focusing screens are not designed for that, also you need to adjust the aperture manually. The normal procedure would be to focus manually at full aperture, set lens to desired aperture then press the shutter button, having to do all this can detract from the procedure of composing and taking the photograph.

Very few of the old manual focus lenses will perform as well as the better modern AF lenses, usually the best old lenses are the ones from the well known camera body manufacturers and not the ones from unheard of Japanese companies, old style zooms usually perform poorly whoever made them. Adaptors have to be made to a very tight tolerance and some cheaper ones are quite poor. Because of the design of the old Canon FD lenses any adaptor made for these has to include a correction lens and these only make the performance of the FD lens even worse,

Playing with old lenses can be fun and if you are financially stretched then it may be the only way you can afford get into other focal lengths but ultimately it will make your photography harder and probably not produce the results you are hoping for.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There are adapters for any combination you can imagine to convert any lens to any other. None, I mean none work well.  They are a waste of time and money.

The sole exception are the ones from Ed Mika. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You have to manually focus.

Ray-uk
Whiz

Using old manual focus lenses with your Canon can be quite hard work, as has already been pointed out you need to focus manually and the modern viewfinder focusing screens are not designed for that, also you need to adjust the aperture manually. The normal procedure would be to focus manually at full aperture, set lens to desired aperture then press the shutter button, having to do all this can detract from the procedure of composing and taking the photograph.

Very few of the old manual focus lenses will perform as well as the better modern AF lenses, usually the best old lenses are the ones from the well known camera body manufacturers and not the ones from unheard of Japanese companies, old style zooms usually perform poorly whoever made them. Adaptors have to be made to a very tight tolerance and some cheaper ones are quite poor. Because of the design of the old Canon FD lenses any adaptor made for these has to include a correction lens and these only make the performance of the FD lens even worse,

Playing with old lenses can be fun and if you are financially stretched then it may be the only way you can afford get into other focal lengths but ultimately it will make your photography harder and probably not produce the results you are hoping for.

Thank you, Ray, for that information. I will save up for a modern lens.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements