cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F stop setting goes to 00

Ramblerkat
Contributor

Hello,

I'm new here and I have a rebel T3  It has a couple issues.  The f stop will be on 00 after I take a few shots.  I then turn off the camera, remove the lens, put the lens back on, turn the camer on and then my f stop is good at 5.4 but after a few shots it goes back to 00.    Any suggestions and thanks!!!

Kathleen

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What Lens?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

That’s typically an indicator that the camera is not able to detect a lens.  When I attach my cameras to my telescopes to do astrophotography (the telescope becomes the “lens” - and does not have any electronic communication with the camera body) the f-stop goes to “00”.

Check to make sure the contacts on the lens and camera body are not dirty (they seldom are dirty — but if you do see any obvious dirt, wipe it away with a soft cloth (don’t use a pencil eraser... the gold plating is very thin, soft, and can be scrubbed away by a pencil eraser).   

On the lens side, you’ll see gold contacts.  On the camera side, you’ll see tiny gold pins.  Each of those pins is on a spring... if you press them with your fingers, they’ll push in... and when you release they should spring right back out.  Make sure none of those pins are jammed (they all push in and spring back out).

The two above things are probably NOT the problem... but you should check them anyway.

More likely is that there’s a failure inside the lens (sometimes the wiring comes loose, etc.).  Depending on the lens, it may or may not be worth repairing.   Expensive “L” series lenses typically are worth repairing.   Entry level (low-priced) lenses usually cost more to repair than the price of just buying a replacement lens.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

lly3988
Rising Star

Another possibility is that the lens is not lock in place properly.

Rotate the lens clockwise until you hear/feel a click.

But most likely is a broken/loose flex cable inside the lens.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Ramblerkat wrote:

Hello,

I'm new here and I have a rebel T3  It has a couple issues.  The f stop will be on 00 after I take a few shots.  I then turn off the camera, remove the lens, put the lens back on, turn the camer on and then my f stop is good at 5.4 but after a few shots it goes back to 00.    Any suggestions and thanks!!!

Kathleen

I will assume that an an f/stop of f/5.4 is a typo.  That is not a typical f/stop value.  Or, it could be an indication of a communication problem.  What happens when you try a different lens?  If another lens works normally, then your first lens is probably the fault.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm new here and I have a rebel T3  It has a couple issues."

What are the "couple issues" besides the f00 ?  That may be important and revealing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Jackv
Apprentice
Hi not sure if you can help I too wish to do astrophotography .I have a EOS RP and am getting the F00 error code is there anyway I can bypass the error and use my telescope T ring and take pictures.

Jack

@Jackv wrote:
Hi not sure if you can help I too wish to do astrophotography .I have a EOS RP and am getting the F00 error code is there anyway I can bypass the error and use my telescope T ring and take pictures.

Jack

The F00 aperture value is normal for a fully manual lens, which does not communicate with the camera body.  There may be a setting in the camera menus that allows the camera fire the [Shutter] without a lens being attached.  M Seires cameras have this setting, and it is Disabled by default.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Jackv wrote:

Jack

The F00 aperture value is normal for a fully manual lens, which does not communicate with the camera body.  There may be a setting in the camera menus that allows the camera fire the [Shutter] without a lens being attached.  M Seires cameras have this setting, and it is Disabled by default.

It would seem the EOS RP has the same setting as M Series camera bodies, which is as expected.

AB329C07-92FE-447B-B16F-A6642801961B.jpeg

Jackv
Apprentice
Thank you very much..I went through all the settings and there is was.. realise shutter without lens..Thank you now I can enjoy the stars.

Jack
Announcements