cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F/stop change display viewing on an M50?

bigbrother
Enthusiast
So this has been odd. Usually I have found Canon’s functionality/menus extremely intuitive and fast to figure out. Not in this case!

The LCD is obviously a godsend for many reasons. I would think that, with my nifty 50, I’d be able to quickly and easily adjust the f/stop and see the effect on the blurriness right there. But it doesn’t update.

Ok, so I’d expect then that it’s something optical/mechanical and it can’t give me a digital preview. Fine.

But *then*, if I switch to the Scn mode, I believe, the one with blurriness, brightness, saturation, etc. controls, when I choose to blur the background, I hear the lens changing its aperture and the display shows the new blurriness!

So what am I missing here? Obviously f/stop changes are previewable in the display, from a technical standpoint, so why is it that in every other mode I have to shoot and review to see those changes?

Thanks all!!
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You did not say which shooting mode are you using when it doesn't work.  This info is crucial to explaining why it does not work for you right now.  Try using Av mode shooting mode.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

bigbrother
Enthusiast
The only mode in which it *does* show the change is Scn. In every other mode, including Av, it does not show f/stop changes in the LCD display.

I suggest that you switch the camera to Av mode, and then go into the menu and find the option to reset the camera back to the factory defaults.  If you do not have a copy of the full User Guide, then I suggest that you visit the Canon Support page for your camera, the some one where you can download the software, and download a copy of the User Manual.

There are only two shooting modes that allow you to directly adjust the Aperture, Av and M shooting modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements