cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposure issues with 5D MK IV and Tamron 150-600

SSipple
Contributor

I seem to be experiencing e posture issues with my 5D MK IV when using my Tamron 150-600.    I did send the Tamron for the latest firmware update.   I took the camera and lens on a trip and was shooting with auto ISO and shutter priority.   All of a sudden, the exposures were dark.    I switched to my Canon 24-105, and then everything was dark.  Called Canon and they had me reset the camera settings.  Appears to have corrected the 24-105 issues.    For the most part, the 150-600 is working, but at the 150 range appears to randomly underexposed.   I looked and the auto ISO is being set to a very low ISO.    I was using evaluative metering.

called Canon and they basically told me I was using an inferior lens and that was the problem.   This has been working fine until now.  Not sure whether to send the camera to Canon, he lens to Tamron.   I used partial spot metering and the exposures seemed better.

45 REPLIES 45

Thanks, good thought, but I know that wasn't the issue.

"...  but I know that wasn't the issue."

It would not be if you reset the camera like the Canon rep said.  That is the first thing to do when something isn't as it was.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  but I know that wasn't the issue."

It would not be if you reset the camera like the Canon rep said.  That is the first thing to do when something isn't as it was.

Really?  If you reset the camera to factory defaults, doesn't the AE button lock exposure settings?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Not sure of your question here.   I was not using AE lock.       Some of the photos are fine, others are not

I did reset it and in mist circumstances it is working.   Prior to the reset, everything was being underexposed 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I seem to be experiencing e posture issues with my 5D MK IV when using my Tamron 150-600."

I admit I have not used the big Tammy on a Mk IV but I have used it on six or seven other cameras.  Even a couple that don't have Canon printed on them!  It has always worked well.  Of course this doesn't mean it will work on a Mk IV after all it is not a Canon product but it does say something.

The only time I use auto ISO is on a G1x point and shoot.  Set you ISO to a specific spot.  Don't let the camera decide for you.

I always use raw anymore.  There just isn't any good reason not to.

Whether or not auto WB affects exposure, it can't be very much. Not enough to make a big or even a noticeable difference to raw.  I leave it set to auto WB.  Why?  Because WB has no effect on raw.  It makes no difference where it is set.

Most settings have no effect of a raw file.  However auto ISO does.  That is why you need to pick what you want. 

Do the basic test on a bight day.  Pick a subject.  Use normal settings and try the combo.  Perhaps, f8, SS 1/1000, ISO 400.

If it works as it should, it is OK and good to go.

I'll bet it is.  Smiley Happy

EB

SSipple
Contributor
Yes, I am well versed with auto ISO. Both are set at 25600

SSipple
Contributor
Thing is, I have been using it since February and have not experienced this issue until the camera went out of whack and started underexposing everything. I used auto ISO because I usually shoot concerts where the lighting changes will and you don't have time to be adjusting. Sure, I can get around it, but shouldn't have to. I like to shoot manual and auto ISO

"...until the camera went out of whack and started underexposing everything."

Whoa!  I missed this.  Are you saying it happens with more than just the big Tammy on your Mk IV?  Perhaps auto ISO is not working as it should.  Do try a few shots of known good conditions with out auto ISO turn on.  Fix it to a middle of the road 400 or so.  If it works, it works, and something else is a foot.  Also try your other lenses?

One thing about Canon support is, you get what you get.  I mean all techs are not created equal.  I have received great support, up and beyond with some, even most of them.  But, there is always a 'but' isn't there? But once in a while you get a dud.  In that case call back and you will likely get a different tech.

EB

@SSipple wrote:
Thing is, I have been using it since February and have not experienced this issue until the camera went out of whack and started underexposing everything. I used auto ISO because I usually shoot concerts where the lighting changes will and you don't have time to be adjusting. Sure, I can get around it, but shouldn't have to. I like to shoot manual and auto ISO

Since a simple camera reset fixed the underexposure on everything, but, the Tamron lens, all things point to the Tamron lens as the issue.

If you are having issues with the Tamron lens you should be contacting TAMRON not Canon.

Announcements