Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Error 80 on 5DMk3 video and stills

There were old threads regarding the Error 80 on 5DMk3, but I haven't seen any recent updates regarding this. Has anyone ever found an answer to this? I have experienced it probably at least once a week when shooting stills since the camera was newly released, but now I am needing to use the camera for video and it does it on almost every video I do. Stills you only lost the one image, but losing an entire video during a live broadcast, is unacceptable. Fortunately I have the 5dMk2 to switch back to for video, but the quality and sound aren't as good.

I am updated on firmware.
I only use Canon batteries.
I only use Canon L Lenses.
All cards are SanDisk and Lexar.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Highlighted
VIP

Re: Error 80 on 5DMk3 video and stills

[ Edited ]

Well, you seem to have most every base covered.  You could have old cards, but I doubt your entire collection would go bad at once.  The odds of that are pretty slim.

I would try performing a low level format in a computer, and then a regular format, not a low level format, in the camera. 

For those who do not know, I would compare a low level format to raw road buildling, with bulldozers, road pavers, and everything else, which is time consuming.  I would compare a regular format to painting the stripes on the newly laid road.

Technically, a low level format initializes all of the storage locations throughout memory.  It also tests each memory location, and flags the bad ones for non-use.  A low level format is automatically followed by a regular format, which initializes the disk with an initial storage folder, or root directory.  But, it is the flagging of bad sectors during a low-level format which might be beneficial in this case.  Computers are better at flagging bad sectors than the camera, most likely.  Performing a regular format in the camera should initialize the folders with names the camera uses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
New Contributor

I will have to try just the memory card method on Monday to see if that fixes everything.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

Well, you seem to have most every base covered.  You could have old cards, but I doubt your entire collection would go bad at once.  The odds of that are pretty slim.

I would try performing a low level format in a computer, and then a regular format, not a low level format, in the camera. 

For those who do not know, I would compare a low level format to raw road buildling, with bulldozers, road pavers, and everything else, which is time consuming.  I would compare a regular format to painting the stripes on the newly laid road.

Technically, a low level format initializes all of the storage locations throughout memory.  It also tests each memory location, and flags the bad ones for non-use.  A low level format is automatically followed by a regular format, which initializes the disk with an initial storage folder, or root directory.  But, it is the flagging of bad sectors during a low-level format which might be beneficial in this case.  Computers are better at flagging bad sectors than the camera, most likely.  Performing a regular format in the camera should initialize the folders with names the camera uses.

Good advice, with one caveat: Computers can format a card with file systems that some or all cameras can't read. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that FAT32 is safe on pretty much all cameras these days.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA