cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos R- color banding issue- what firmware should I use?

djentzen
Contributor

I posted about this last month, and got some help, but I have a different question:

Eos R. Getting this color banding when I expose this (and many other) images up. Then I heard that Canon fixed this in firmware 1.2.0. But I got this camera last month, and it came with 1.6.0, and it's still doing it.

Just updated to 1.7.0, does anyone know if that should help? Should I revert to 1.2.0?

Thanks!

-Dan J

IMG_1172-2.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

Peter
Authority
Authority

My friend that owns EOS R has the issue no matter which firmware he uses. He corrects the issue in post these days.

Have you asked Canon yet about a repair?

Hey Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Would you still be interested in helping me remove that banding, from 3 images?

Peter
Authority
Authority
Send me the raw files in a PM. And also, check your inbox.

Thanks! I DMed you.

I'm not even sure where to start, with asking Canon about this. Is there an official forum, or even just a service center?

More importantly- you seem to think this is an enduring issue with the hardware, not fixable with firmware. Is that correct?

@djentzen wrote:

Thanks! I DMed you.

I'm not even sure where to start, with asking Canon about this. Is there an official forum, or even just a service center?

More importantly- you seem to think this is an enduring issue with the hardware, not fixable with firmware. Is that correct?

I would start with a service center. The firmware that is published will not fix this, but it doesn't mean a service center can't fix the issue. In a Canon camera there are some calibration settings not visible for the user. Greg at Magic Lantern has figured out this from his 550D and the service software SPT also has this kind of calibration. I have only the SPT demo so I have never tried it with a camera. You have PM about your raw files.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! I'm confused- are you talking about a physical service center, that can use the software SPT, to fix this?

Peter
Authority
Authority

I am talking about a service center from Canon. Others will need to use SPT.

From a user with a similar banding from his 5D IV he got the answer from a Canon service center:

Your product has been examined and it was found that the adjustment of the imaging sensor assembly was incorrect. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the imaging sensor assembly. Product functions were confirmed.

I could remove the banding completely from his raw files.

Interesting, thank you. Hopefully my camera store (Newtonville Camera here in Boston) can point me in the right direction. 

People might find this interesting. I took some dark frames, both RAW and JPG, and pushed them up in LR.

1. Punched up the Exposure, Highlights, and Whites, each about halfway.

2. Luminance Noise Reduction set to 30.

3. Did this for about 20 frames in a row.

This banding is pretty typical. Most frames have it, in different places every time. A couple of frames didn't really have it. 

3359- RAW.png

This started life as a RAW. Long Exposure Noise Reduction turned on. 

IMG_3359-JPG.jpg

This is the JPG the camera made of that same frame. Same processing. LENR turned on. 

3367- RAW.png

Started as a RAW. Long Exposure Noise Reduction turned OFF.

IMG_3367-JPG.jpg 

This is the JPG the camera made of that same frame. Same processing. LENR turned OFF. 

Thinking of sending the body to Canon for service. Bought it 2 months ago, has current firmware.

Announcements