cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos M3 has started to turn off when trying to see photos

ajpittman
Apprentice

Hey everyone, I am new to photography and I am having problems with my Eos m3 that I can't seem to fix. I have been taking photos and it has been working fine until now. When I take a photo and try to view it, the screen on the camera goes black and the camera turns off. When I plug the camera into my laptop and try to connect it the camera also just turns off. But it only does this when I have the sd card in the camera. I have two other sd card and neither of them seem to be formatted for the camera as they won't save images and won't let me access all the images I have taken, but when I use them in the camera the camera still lets me select the option to see them without turning off. I would really appreciate any help that anyone can provide.Thanks in advance! 

13 REPLIES 13

Pleased to hear it worked ....... another non-working camera rescued Smiley Very Happy

If the camera had a specific slot for the micro SD card it probably wouldn't be a problem, assuming that the card is up to specs. But I think the issues tend to crop up when using the micro SD adapter. If nothing else, you're adding another set of terminals and connectors that maybe aren't doing their job as well as they need to.

Format your full size card in the camera you plan to use it in, and while you're at it set the clock and calendar as well.

@BurnUnitwrote:

If the camera had a specific slot for the micro SD card it probably wouldn't be a problem, assuming that the card is up to specs. But I think the issues tend to crop up when using the micro SD adapter. If nothing else, you're adding another set of terminals and connectors that maybe aren't doing their job as well as they need to.

Format your full size card in the camera you plan to use it in, and while you're at it set the clock and calendar as well.

I'm not sure what the clock and calendar have to do with the current issue (other than that we in the U.S. just went onto Daylight Saving Time). But since BU brought it up, here's a useful trick: Always use EOS Utility to set the date and time in your cameras, using the option to synchronize with the computer's clock. That will ensure that if you're using more than one camera or have more than one photographer working, the pictures will always sort in correct chronological order.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat

wrote:

I'm not sure what the clock and calendar have to do with the current issue (other than that we in the U.S. just went onto Daylight Saving Time). But since BU brought it up, here's a useful trick: Always use EOS Utility to set the date and time in your cameras, using the option to synchronize with the computer's clock. That will ensure that if you're using more than one camera or have more than one photographer working, the pictures will always sort in correct chronological order.

I don't really expect that having the clock and calendar set properly are going to having any effect on this particular problem. But some years ago a co-worker was having issues writing and/or accessing images on his card that he'd never bothered to format. I suggested that he format the card in the camera and that seemed to only fix part of his problems.

He brought the camera and card to me and I did a bit of research online and saw some mention of some issues related to not having the clock and calendar set properly. So I formatted the card again and set the proper time and date and everything woke up and worked like it was supposed to. I'm not even sure that it was a Canon, seemed like maybe it was a Sony or a Nikon.

Besides that, I sometimes see EXIF data attached to a photo that indicates that it was taken some number of months or years into the future. And that kind of freaks me out. Robot surprised

Announcements