cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos M3 ShutterCount

konrad
Apprentice

How do i check shutter count on CANON EOS M3? i try with shuttercount on osx and other software but nothing...

Cheers

Konrad

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@konrad wrote:

How do i check shutter count on CANON EOS M3? i try with shuttercount on osx and other software but nothing...

Cheers

Konrad

A Canon service center might be able to tell you.  I'm not sure if every camera keeps track of the count.  Lots of people ask about this, and I have always wondered why.  I don't see how the information is really all that useful to an end user.  It would be useful to the design engineers, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Most digital cameras use an electronic shutter that has finite number of possible activations (unlike mechanical shutters), after which it needs be replaced.  It's a factor when you're buying or selling (used) digital cameras.  It's a lot like the mileage on a car - once it reaches a certain mileage you need to replace some parts.  So, the shutter actuation count on a digital camera IS useful to everydaty end user as well as (design) engineers and super smart people.

@jr8 wrote:

Most digital cameras use an electronic shutter that has finite number of possible activations (unlike mechanical shutters), after which it needs be replaced.  It's a factor when you're buying or selling (used) digital cameras.  It's a lot like the mileage on a car - once it reaches a certain mileage you need to replace some parts.  So, the shutter actuation count on a digital camera IS useful to everydaty end user as well as (design) engineers and super smart people.

I don't believe a word of that. Let's see your proof.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Canon officially lists most of its cameras shutter life expectancies at between 50,000 and 150,000 (with the 1D models averaging a bit higher at between 200 and 400K). According to Kikin’s database, you should expect closer to 350K out of your 5D. It may be surprising, but not implausible.  Google and find out.

@jr8 wrote:

Like I said, the shutter count is not very useful to the average user.  The count is not an indication of when you need to replace your shutter.  Nor is it an indication that a shutter is about to fail.  A shutter will fail whenever it gets good and ready.

Isn't it the same for cars (the mileage) too?!

Steves_8
Contributor

In my experience, folks who buy used DSLRs often want to know what the shutter count is, much like tused car buyers want to know the mileage.

I find it curious and irritating that Canon don't simply make this information available in the menus somewhere. Obviously, the data is stored in the camera, so all we need is a readout. having to send the camera to a service centre for such a simple procedure is absurd.

I use a third-party program, though I have heard that Canon will not confirm the accuracy of such programs. That's fair enough - they didn't make the code after all, but their apparent lack of cooperation with third party programmers alerts the cynic in me.

Have Canon ever explained why they make this so hard?

@Steves_8 wrote:

In my experience, folks who buy used DSLRs often want to know what the shutter count is, much like tused car buyers want to know the mileage.

I find it curious and irritating that Canon don't simply make this information available in the menus somewhere. Obviously, the data is stored in the camera, so all we need is a readout. having to send the camera to a service centre for such a simple procedure is absurd.

I use a third-party program, though I have heard that Canon will not confirm the accuracy of such programs. That's fair enough - they didn't make the code after all, but their apparent lack of cooperation with third party programmers alerts the cynic in me.

Have Canon ever explained why they make this so hard?

Making it easy to access could make it easier to alter.

Exactly.
Announcements