cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos 7d

Lindseysa
Apprentice

I've had my 7d for a few years and have been thinking of buying the 16-35mm f/4L lens.  As the 7d isn't full frame, will this lens work as I've heard that you can only start using it at 20mm.

Also, has anyone any feedback on the Eos 6d?  I take mainly landscape photos and work a lot in low light.  Any help would be appreciated

37 REPLIES 37

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Whether you want to admit it or not the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens is an amazing and unique lens. It is one of my favorite lens to play around with.  

I admit the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens is an amazing and unique lens.

That doesn't mean it is a rectilinear lens, full frame, APS-H, APS-C or otherwise. 

It is unique because it makes not attempt to correct for barrel distortion. 

It really amazes me that you think you know so much about my life, I guess that comes from not having one of your own.

"It really amazes me that you think you know so much about my life, ..."

I know nothing about your life except what you post.  I only attempt to correct you when you are wrong.  BTW, I would much rather be cordial than not so why be so rude?  So how about?  Friends?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I think it is closer to the longer end, than the shorter end."

And, you would be correct, sir.  The exif should be intact.  I can highly recommend Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens.  It is a blast to use.  Exact opposite of a big tele!

EB

" I have been looking at buying one ..."

Another candidate I am getting fonder of is the Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 AF DX Fisheye Lens for Canon.  As you may have gathered I am not a huge Tokina fan but they do make a couple really nice lenses.  I wouldn't trade my Canon for it but if I couldn't have the Canon, the Tok would do nicely.

EB

Bob from Boston,

"I guess I don't see how the lens can correct its own fisheye distortion."

Distortion that you can't see, is it really there?  When you zoom the EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens to the longer side, it is not a fisheye.  In spite of its name, it is just a really WA lens and a good one at that.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

Distortion that you can't see, is it really there?  When you zoom the EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens to the longer side, it is not a fisheye.  In spite of its name, it is just a really WA lens and a good one at that.

Thanks!  It's about time that you showed up and told them that, that the lens behaves like a rectilinear REALLY wide angle lens at the long end.  I've been beating around the bush, saying that it is really a unique zoom, and getting beaten over the head in the process.  

What intrigues me the most is how the lens gives you VERY different results on a full frame, compared to a crop body.  On a crop body, the lens behaves like a really WA lens with surprising low barrel distortion.  Shooting landscapes and cityscapes is in my wheelhouse, and I think the super WA behavior of the EF 8-15mm f/4L Zoom Fisheye is something I can work with. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...the EF 8-15mm f/4L Zoom Fisheye is something I can work with."

You will love it.  Smiley Happy

EB

@Waddizzle wrote:

Thanks!  It's about time that you showed up and told them that, that the lens behaves like a rectilinear REALLY wide angle lens at the long end.

Except it doesn't act like a rectilinear lens at the long end. I just doesn't act like a circular fisheye at the long end.

Images from the-digital-picture.com. Both taken with the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye Lens at 15mm on the same camera. One with the horizon in the center to 'hide the fisheye distortion' the other taken with the horizon in the upper part of the frame to shows how much fisheye distortion there really is.
Hide distortion
show distortion

Claiming the lens doesn't have distortion at the long end APS-C, APS-H, or Full frame is simply a fallacy. The lens makes no claims to be or attempts to act like a rectilinear lens.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Thanks!  It's about time that you showed up and told them that, that the lens behaves like a rectilinear REALLY wide angle lens at the long end.

Except it doesn't act like a rectilinear lens at the long end. I just doesn't act like a circular fisheye at the long end.

Images from the-digital-picture.com. Both taken with the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye Lens at 15mm on the same camera. One with the horizon in the center to 'hide the fisheye distortion' the other taken with the horizon in the upper part of the frame to shows how much fisheye distortion there really is.
Hide distortion
show distortion

Claiming the lens doesn't have distortion at the long end APS-C, APS-H, or Full frame is simply a fallacy. The lens makes no claims to be or attempts to act like a rectilinear lens.

The only person who made the claim that the lens is rectilinear is you.  I have repeated said that it is a very different lens on a crop body, compared to a full frame.  In fact, I would bet that the above test shots are on a full frame body, which shows a lot more barrel distortion than a crop body would.  Your "proof" is misleading.  Your accusations are baseless.  Your entire argument has become an obsession.  Let it go, man.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Repeat.....quote.........

"Bob from Boston,

Distortion that you can't see, is it really there?"

"Your "proof" is misleading.  Your accusations are baseless.  Your entire argument has become an obsession.  Let it go, man."

Amen!

EB
Announcements