cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos 7d Mk1 Mirror Freezes in Photo Mode

SwiftSword
Contributor
I have had my Eos 7d Mk1 for a while now and recently had a problem. In photo mode when using the eyepiece the mirror freezes when taking a photo after the first or second shot, I can take photos fine in video mode or when I'm using the screen to preview my shot, I've tested my two lenses, Ultrasonic 50mm and Ultrasonic 28-135mm and it freezes with both, I've formated the card and reset settings, don't have a battery grip, and shoot primarily manual, although this seems to effect all modes. I know the camera is getting old and has been used 2-3+ times a week for over two years now. If there is anything else that would help I'll do what I can, thanks!
26 REPLIES 26

SwiftSword
Contributor
I do not have an AC power adapter, but have cleaned the contacts for everything, flash, lense, battery etc. opening my aperture completely doesn't seem to have made a difference, although I managed to take more than one for once before it gave me an error

Ok, have you replaced the small button battery?

SwiftSword
Contributor
I used isopropyl alcohol to clean it

SwiftSword
Contributor
I have not, but I did test to see if it still had power and it was still giving the correct amount

Voltage yes but the capacity to power it may be shot. Only reason I am suggesting replacing it is I saw a post on the internet where that alone solved an Error 40 problem and it is a cheap option also.

SwiftSword
Contributor
the viewfinder becomes dark when I take a photo, the green displays showing iso etc. dissappear, the rear screen remains black, the processing light stays on until I turn it off, I left it over night to see if it would finish but it never finished, the mirror gets stuck in the up position but only when using the viewfinder-if I use the screen then the camera works fine, nothing wrong nothing stuck, when it gets stuck the camera makes quite a bit of noise that sounds as if it's thinking quite a bit until I turn it off. Removing the card doesn't seem to make a difference,

arnauasitto
Contributor

@SwiftSword wrote:
I have had my Eos 7d Mk1 for a while now and recently had a problem. In photo mode when using the eyepiece the mirror freezes when taking a photo after the first or second shot, I can take photos fine in video mode or when I'm using the screen to preview my shot, I've tested my two lenses, Ultrasonic 50mm and Ultrasonic 28-135mm and it freezes with both, I've formated the card and reset settings, don't have a battery grip, and shoot primarily manual, although this seems to effect all modes. I know the camera is getting old and has been used 2-3+ times a week for over two years now. If there is anything else that would help I'll do what I can, thanks!

nothing on the screen as it isn't on when I'm taking the photo, through the eyepiece it just goes black, including the displays

Announcements