cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos 7d Mk1 Mirror Freezes in Photo Mode

SwiftSword
Contributor
I have had my Eos 7d Mk1 for a while now and recently had a problem. In photo mode when using the eyepiece the mirror freezes when taking a photo after the first or second shot, I can take photos fine in video mode or when I'm using the screen to preview my shot, I've tested my two lenses, Ultrasonic 50mm and Ultrasonic 28-135mm and it freezes with both, I've formated the card and reset settings, don't have a battery grip, and shoot primarily manual, although this seems to effect all modes. I know the camera is getting old and has been used 2-3+ times a week for over two years now. If there is anything else that would help I'll do what I can, thanks!
26 REPLIES 26

ah ok!

SwiftSword
Contributor
I have already done this with both of my batteries, and cleaned the contacts on both of them and in the compartment, as well as replacing the clock battery, no difference unfortunately

SwiftSword
Contributor
I finally got an error code: 40, I don't know if I didn't notice I previously or if it just started showing up

@SwiftSword wrote:
I finally got an error code: 40, I don't know if I didn't notice I previously or if it just started showing up

Error Code 40 is a power malfunction has been detected.  Are you using genuine Canon batteries?

Have you tried to power up the camera without a memory card?  Without a lens?  Without either?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Err 40 is a fairly generic "power issue" that can be set by many different failures and problems.

Flipping the mirror in a DSLR is a fairly significant peak power drain task so a problem with the battery or the contact interface between the battery and the camera can easily be an issue causing this error to occur when a sudden increase in battery current is demanded causing system voltage to drop below the critical level.

I haven't used a 7D series but do you have an AC adapter for it and how does it connect?  If possible try the AC adapter to narrow down the issue.  The aperture is also being changed at the moment the image is taken so try setting it up in Av or manual mode with the selected lens aperture set to the maximum opening of the lens (which is used during setup/focusing). 

If replacing the battery or cleaning the contacts doesn't do it then you are going to have to send it in for repair.  It is possible that the mechanism used to flip the mirror out of the image path is defective causing it to draw excessive current but more likely there is an issue either with the power bus or power bus sensing circuit on the main board.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

SwiftSword
Contributor
I did finally get an error code: 40. Took several times of "crashing it" the before it showed up, although I may have missed it I don't know

SwiftSword
Contributor
I have tried a few settings changes but nothing has worked, I went out this afternoon and shot with it using the screen, no problems, didn't even want to attempt the eyepiece just in case

SwiftSword
Contributor
I am using genuine Canon batteries-I have tested the both of them and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. The camera will turn on and works fine so long as I am not shooting photos with the eyepiece, I don't seem to have any problems without a lense but of the 6 now that I have tried all of them cause an error. As for cards I have tried 3 separate ones and tried without to no avail.

Have you cleaned the contacts on the camera body where the lens mounts with an eraser?

@SwiftSword wrote:
I am using genuine Canon batteries-I have tested the both of them and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. The camera will turn on and works fine so long as I am not shooting photos with the eyepiece, I don't seem to have any problems without a lense but of the 6 now that I have tried all of them cause an error. As for cards I have tried 3 separate ones and tried without to no avail.

Not exactly what i asked, but I will take it.  I wanted to eliminate possibilities.

Can we review what happens when you use the viewfinder in more detail?  The viewfinder is dark?  If the viewfinder is dark, then what do you see on the rear screen?  

Is the mirror stuck in the up or down position?  I guess you mean it is stuck in the raised position, exposing the image sensor, which is why I wanted you to test it without a lens attached to the body.  Observe what the mirror is doing with your eyes and ears.

The memory card draws power, too.  You seem to have a power related issue, and completely removing the card could eliminate the memory card as an issue beyond a shadow of doubt.  I doubt if it is the issue, but I had thought that you were reporting an issue just powering up the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements