cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos 7d Mk1 Mirror Freezes in Photo Mode

SwiftSword
Contributor
I have had my Eos 7d Mk1 for a while now and recently had a problem. In photo mode when using the eyepiece the mirror freezes when taking a photo after the first or second shot, I can take photos fine in video mode or when I'm using the screen to preview my shot, I've tested my two lenses, Ultrasonic 50mm and Ultrasonic 28-135mm and it freezes with both, I've formated the card and reset settings, don't have a battery grip, and shoot primarily manual, although this seems to effect all modes. I know the camera is getting old and has been used 2-3+ times a week for over two years now. If there is anything else that would help I'll do what I can, thanks!
26 REPLIES 26

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Does it show an error message when this happens?

Mike Sowsun

SwiftSword
Contributor
It only says error on the top screen near the shutter button, nothing on the screen as it isn't on when I'm taking the photo, through the eyepiece it just goes black, including the displays

SwiftSword
Contributor
only says error on the top screen near the shutter button, nothing on the screen as it isn't on when I'm taking the photo, through the eyepiece it just goes black, including the displays

Is there a number shown along with the “Err” message on the top LCD screen?

892432A4-8612-4D6F-B83B-702ABFEA953D.jpeg

F42D8602-5AC0-4D41-BCE2-C69E6D2565B8.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Found some info on error 30 and 80 and all it says is to turn the camera off remove the battery, replace the battery and turn it on...which my guess is you've already done. I would only add to turn the camera on for 30 seconds with the battery removed and with fingers crossed.

Err 30

Description: A malfunction with the shutter has been detected.

Resolution: Turn the power off, then remove and re-install the battery. Then turn the power on again.

Err 80

Description: A malfunction with the electric control or images has been detected.

Resolution: Turn the power off, then remove and re-install the battery. Then turn the power on again.

SwiftSword
Contributor
no it just says error

That does seem odd as I thought there should always be a code associated with any error message.

I guess you will need to take it to a Canon Service Center.

Mike Sowsun

Just found some other people with those errors that solved it by blowing out the camera with compressed air, including the battery and SD card compartments

Sorry to mislead you, but the error codes were just examples I found with a Google search. The original poster just has the "Err" message and no codes.

Mike Sowsun
Announcements