cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos 7D Mark II CF adapter to SD

Snakevillekid
Apprentice
Hi guys.

I'm about to get myself the Wi-Fi adapter w-e1 for my 7D II. The camera has two memoryslots, one for SD-card and one for CF-card. The Wifi adapter W-e1 goes into the SD slot of the cam. That leaves me with the CF slot for memory. Since I've all ready got a heap of SD cards, can I possibly use a adapter from CF to SD?

If not, I guess I'll just have to get myself a CF-card....just trying to save a few buck.
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Snakevillekid wrote:
Hi guys.

I'm about to get myself the Wi-Fi adapter w-e1 for my 7D II. The camera has two memoryslots, one for SD-card and one for CF-card. The Wifi adapter W-e1 goes into the SD slot of the cam. That leaves me with the CF slot for memory. Since I've all ready got a heap of SD cards, can I possibly use a adapter from CF to SD?

If not, I guess I'll just have to get myself a CF-card....just trying to save a few buck.

Do not bother with the Wi-Fi adapter card.  I was disappointed with what it could do.  If all you want to do is transfer in-camera JPEGs to social media, then it is perfect.  Otherwise, for any other task, it will either do it poorly, or not at all.

As far as an adapter for SD card to use an CF slot, I have never heard of such of thing.  I have never seen one for sale anywhere,  Yet, there are plenty of posts in these forums of people trying to use one, only to discover that it not only does not work, but suddenly neither does their camera.

There are major design differences between CF and SD memory cards.  The differences are so significant that the two are not interchangeable.  Without getting to deep into the techno-babble, an SD card uses a serial communication bus.  A CF card uses a parallel communication data bus, just like a memory chip would use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Snakevillekid
Apprentice
Tanks for the input Waddizzle.
Much appreciated.

What i was looking for in this setup was not to be able to transfer Jpegs wirelessly to social media.
I would like to be able to have a wireless Live View that could remotely controll the camera.

Today I'm using an app from Chainfire, DSLR Controller. It's great for live viewing and to controll the camera itself from smartphone or tab. But it's connected to the cam with a short OTG cable and is mounted on top of the cam in the hot shoe mount, so it's no good as a remote controll.

Is there any other way to set up my gear so I can have a live view with remote controll? Either by wire or preferably wirelessly?

Furthermore I will definitely get myself a proper CF memory card instead of tinkering with shady solutions, just to save a few bucks...😁

Have a nice day.

Get an active USB cable.  I use them all the time. I have used them as far away as 75 feet but other tell me they do even farther. I tether with Lightroom.

I don't know what you mean by watching "Live View" but a DSLR is not designed for constant video viewing. LR is great for controlling the camera and viewing the photos immediately on a larger screen.

IMHO, always use the right CF card recommended in your manual.  Never use adapters as they are not recommended in your manual.

IMHO, never use wi-fi SD cards.  Slow and clunky at best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Snakevillekid
Apprentice
ebiggs1 Thanx for input.

Active USB cables sound interesting. Is it just a cable or is there hardware involved?
I just want to keep it as simple and affordable as possible. 😊

Heard something about USB over Ethernet...Is that something I could use for my purpose?

This is a bus-powered extension cable that can be used to increase the length of USB without any signal loss or potential performance problems. It contains electronics, which boost the USB signal for maximum reliability and performance over extended distances. There is no extra software or power or devices needed.  You might want to get a jerk strap though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements