cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entry-Level DSLR Cameras for Broadcast Journalism and Multimedia Journalism

umdterps2020
Contributor
I have been taking photos on my smartphone for quite some time since 2011, and I am considering to buy my own camera. I am interested in buying an entry-level DSLR. I want to be able to take photo stills and shoot video. I am currently a student in college majoring in broadcast journalism. I intend to pursue a career in broadcast journalism where I must utilize all forms of multimedia journalism (photo/audio/video). I am taking an intro to multimedia storytelling course were I am learning the basics and how to use editing software (i.e: Photoshop, Adobe Auditions, Final Cut and Premiere Pro). I am looking for an entry-level DSLR to use for multimedia journalism purposes for my career and also for everyday use. This will be my first time buying a DSLR, and I have no experience with that type of camera. I am a novice. I do want to learn how to use a DSLR. I am looking for one that has a manual and a video tutorial. I am also looking for an affordable DSLR (I have a limited budget. So, I cannot afford anything towards $1,000 or more), but can still do the same things on other cameras like the D800, Mark II & III, and the K-3. What entry-level DSLR camera would be right for me and for those that are entering broadcast journalism and multimedia journalism?

14 REPLIES 14

Yes, if your sole purpose is broadcast video instead of stills the only 1 series that will do that is the 1D Mk IV or 1Dx.

Both way exceed your $1000 budget by several times.  Even used!

But if just video is your need you may want to look at a 'real' video camera.  A DSLR is a still camera that will do video.

They are no video cameras that do stills.  You are going to find there are some hurdles to get over using them solely for video.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

i am also using the dslr for photos as well as video. So, a mixture of everything.

"I am also looking for an affordable DSLR (I have a limited budget. So, I cannot afford anything towards $1,000 or more), but can still do the same things on other cameras like the D800, Mark II & III, and the K-3."

OK, I was somewhat confused by this statement.  And I now suspose you mean a 5D Mk II and/or a 5D Mk III, not a 1D Mk II or Mk III? 

Back to my first suggestion, the Rebel T5i with kit is for you.  Smiley Happy

EB

Oh, BTW, I doubt you can get a good used 5D Mk II much less a Mk III for a grand.

EB

@umdterps2020 wrote:

I am looking at t5i and other prosumer cameras that will fit my needs in doing video for broadcast journalism. Some of the Canon cameras use magic lantern. Supported Cameras for Magic Lantern as of 04/01/2014: 5Dc, 5D2, 5D3, 6D, 7D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 500D (T1i), 550D (T2i), 600D (T3i), 650D (T4i), 700D (T5i), 1100D (T3), EOS M, 100D (SL1). But, let me know of additional suggestions for video besides the rebel line up that will fit my needs. Thanks.

Yes, I’m aware of which cameras can use ML, but I was asking – are you ok using ML?  Not everyone cares to deal with the add-on. 

I mentioned it because the T3i was a favorite of the video crowd for quite some time.  Even after the T4i came out, offering continuous autofocus and STM compatibility, the T3i with Magic Lantern was a cult favorite.   It’s main draw was the option of 3X crop mode, which was removed in the T4i; videographers loved the feature, not sure why they discontinued it.  Since most “serious” videographers don’t use autofocus, so the AF and STM benefits of the T4i didn’t hold much weight.  Hence, my recommendation to consider the older T3i; might be able to get a cheap refurbished one from Canon (comes with warranty).

Announcements