cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic shutter

pvk
Contributor
Just out curiosity, why do DSLR's have a shutter? Would it not be possible to electronically 'tell' the sensor to start and to stop processing the incoming light? What are the advantages of the current designs?
7 REPLIES 7

hsbn
Whiz
Read here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/why-digital-cameras-have-mechanical-shutters.html

But honestly, I like the sound of DSLR shutter. I would never want it to go away.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I like the sound and feel of the shutter too, but I'd love to have 1/4000 sync speed. 

P&S cameras get markedly faster (in the mechanical sense) with every generation, some have lag almost on par with dSLRs.  I haven't looked into the technology, but the mirrorless cameras seem to be aiming this direciton as well.  I think this may be one of the new upcoming leaps in technology now that it looks like the megapixel war is finally coming to a close.  As a studio photographer, I would love an increased sync speed.  My speedlights can't do too much for me at 1/4000, but I'd use 1/500 or 1/800 all the time.  Or I'd just get some of those super fast flashes  🙂

Sami
Contributor

@pvk wrote:
Just out curiosity, why do DSLR's have a shutter? Would it not be possible to electronically 'tell' the sensor to start and to stop processing the incoming light? What are the advantages of the current designs?

To be a smart-alec, I would say SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. Without the shutter, by definition it would not be SLR.

But more seriously, other than what was written behind that link posted earlier, there are cameras out there, which have the same technology, but without the shutter system. EOS M, for example. It is a "DSLR" without the mirror. Great idea and I can see the potential with it for, say, reporters and such. Personally I don't like the small size. I end up pressing too many buttons with it unintentionally.

pvk
Contributor
Thanks for the insight guys. Sami, what you are describing are results of the different form factor of the M series. Added to that, I would not want to miss my EF lenses either. But I can imagine mirror and shutterless cameras with through the lens view. They will add a menu item: Shutter sound: enable/disable for those who cannot do without the sound 🙂

Sami
Contributor
You don't have to be without your EF lenses with EOS M. There's an adapter ring for all EF lenses. So you can use your 2x extender and 100-400mm lens with EOS M. 🙂

I have no idea how useful that would be.

And oh yeah, disadvantage with mirrorless system is the lack of optical viewfinder. I have never liked live view, and in EOS M that's the only option. More than any sound effect, I want to see through a viewfinder.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"And oh yeah, disadvantage with mirrorless system is the lack of optical viewfinder. I have never liked live view, and in EOS M that's the only option. More than any sound effect, I want to see through a viewfinder."

Bingo! Me too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hey guys, I agree, so that is why I was asking about the shutter, not about the mirror. 

Announcements