cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economic Choice: What would YOU choose?

ratan
Enthusiast

Okay here's a standard question:

Would you rather spend more money on EOS Bodies or on L Lenses?

For example: 

I would rather invest in lenses rather than on a camera body. Why? Because lenses are investments and I can use them in the long run. Bodies while in the other hand refresh quite often. I have tested a crop sensor camera with a lens and a Fullframe with a crappy lens. Obviously the crop sensor with better lens has better image quality. 

For discussion sake please explain your answers so the community can understand your point of view better.

I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
11 REPLIES 11

None of this can be considered an investment, but quality lenses will hold a bigger part of their value than a body. The trick is to buy fairly new L's on the used market because you can then use them for a year or 2 and sell for just about what you paid, & sometimes even a bit more if you hit a deal in the first place. Most of the gear I use regularly was bought used, and that includes a 1D2n, 1Ds2 & 1D4. I can't recover close to what I paid for them but they do what I need done, and well. I can however sell any L series lens I've bought used for almost the same price after using them for however long I've owned them.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

LJG
Contributor

I don't think it is as easy as saying lenses are an investment for economic reasons. Anything you buy new will depreciate, some things more than others. Good glass however is a good investment in your photography and as much as I like good glass I also want a body that suits my needs. For me they go hand in hand.

Cheers
Lloyd
5DII | 40D
Announcements