cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVF and dizziness

mindawoo
Apprentice

After months of research, I finally purchased the EOS R. I was so excited to get it and loved everything about that camera except for one thing. This is my first camera with an EVF and I found myself feeling a bit dizzy/nauseous when looking through it. This feeling occurred more often when I was shooting outdoors during the day.. I didn't notice it in the evenings or indoors. I kept shooting with it thinking I would adjust to the viewfinder and the feeling would go away. Sadly that wasn't the case so I ended up returning the camera. I do not experience this when using an OVF.  Has anyone else had a similar experience? Were you able to adjust to the EVF over time? Any idea what might be contributing to this difficulty?

5 REPLIES 5

Something to do with the refresh rate, I would suppose.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Greetings,

No problems here.  Vertigo from EVF, thats a first.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

No problems here.  Vertigo from EVF, thats a first.

He's just got a hangover. 

benbob
Apprentice

I've had a similar reaction and not been able to put my finger on whats wrong for a couple of weeks. I feel dizzy after shooting. This is my first main camera with an EVF - I'm thinking of doing the same thing and going back to OVF. Can I ask which camera you went for instead of the EOS R? 

I don't care for an EVF but I have used a Canon XF-400 camcorder without ill effect.  I cannot stand EVF for still photography, there is a slight lag and I do keep both eyes open for some sports shooting and even the best of the current mirrorless have a slight lag between what is seen and what is displayed.  It is annoying to me just looking at the EVF and completely unacceptable when using both eyes.

Some people are more sensitive than others to how information is visually displayed, for example different people respond differently to motion sickness based upon visual input to the situation.  So some people are going to react badly to an EVF, especially when panning.

I suspect there is a percentage of the population who for one reason or another will feel some discomfort in the way information is presented through the EVF and over time manufacturers will probably learn more about this and address the reason for it.  On a similar note, I had a colleague who had never had motion sickness but when he bought a car with a head up display he had to disable it because he would get car sick almost immediately while driving on the highway.  I love the HUD in my ATS and Corvette and miss it in my pickup but if they made me motion sick I would have a very different reaction to them.  I never drove one with it but Cadillac for a time had night vision cameras that displayed on part of the windshield to help avoid animals and other issues in low light and I suspect some people probably had some issue with the lag between the real time and night vision displays.

I hope that the Canon 1DX 3 I have on order isn't the last new camera that I buy but for the shooting that I do I am not going to accept the limitations of currently available mirrorless EVF technology.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements