cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVF Adjust for Near Sighted Persons

CaliforniaDream
Enthusiast

I was thinking of getting a Canon R as an addition to my current setup.  I checked one out at my local camera shop and was surprised when I couldn't adjust the focus.  I discovered that when I took my glasses off the EVF became reasonably clear.  I was wondering if there was a way to correct the EVF for my vision when I was wearing my glasses.  Really can’t take them off because of my astigmatism.  I really don’t use the touch screen when taking photographs but in any case that was not clear with my glasses on either.  Guess a camera with an EVF is not in my future. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The Canon Eg diopter will fit the EOS R. Looks like they have revised the product to provide for the proximity sensor.

Annotation 2019-09-01 183130.jpg

Annotation 2019-09-01 183155.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CaliforniaDream
Enthusiast

BTW this is just one more good reason to support your local photography store!

John_SD
Whiz

@CaliforniaDream wrote:

I was thinking of getting a Canon R as an addition to my current setup.  I checked one out at my local camera shop and was surprised when I couldn't adjust the focus.  I discovered that when I took my glasses off the EVF became reasonably clear.  I was wondering if there was a way to correct the EVF for my vision when I was wearing my glasses.  Really can’t take them off because of my astigmatism.  I really don’t use the touch screen when taking photographs but in any case that was not clear with my glasses on either.  Guess a camera with an EVF is not in my future. 

When you say you "couldn't adjust the focus," are you referring to the diopter? I would think that you should be able to adust it to suit your normal "walking around" vision, which I assume is with glasses.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

@CaliforniaDream wrote:

... I checked one out at my local camera shop and was surprised when I couldn't adjust the focus.  I discovered that when I took my glasses off the EVF became reasonably clear. ... I really don’t use the touch screen when taking photographs but in any case that was not clear with my glasses on either.  Guess a camera with an EVF is not in my future. 

Were you looking at test shots taken in the camera store? What kind of shutter speed were you using? Maybe a bit of motion blur was killing the sharpness.

The diopter adjustment should affect the EVF but shouldn't make any change on the LCD. Do you have any problem getting things to look sharp with your other caamera(s)? How long have you had your current pair of glasses?

The photo's looked fine.  It was just the EVF that I couldn't adjust enough to get a clear picture.  I often use  manual focus for example for macro shots.  Also I could not tell where the camera was focusing through the EVF.  I guess it is possable it was just that camera.  I have a 5D IV and a 80D and don't have that problem with them.

There is a diptoer adjustment:

Untitled.jpg

Adjusted the dioptric but could not get a clear display.  In fact it did not seem to change as I was moveing it.  As I said before it could have been just that camera.  Edit:(I thought that the possable adjustments for the camera were not sufficient for my eyesight).

@CaliforniaDream wrote:

The photo's looked fine.  It was just the EVF that I couldn't adjust enough to get a clear picture.  I often use  manual focus for example for macro shots.  Also I could not tell where the camera was focusing through the EVF.  I guess it is possable it was just that camera.  I have a 5D IV and a 80D and don't have that problem with them.

Use the rear LCD for manual focusing, so that you can use the focus peaking feature.  I am not sure if that is available in the viewfinder, or not.  Besides, you can magnify the image on the rear LCD.

One feature of Canon bodies that is not found on Nikon is that you can use the rear LCD as a real time display of your exposure settings as you adjust them.  You are not forced to rely on the top panel display.  By default, the rear LCD is blanked by the shutter.  On every Canon DSLR I have used, you can disable the shutter from blanking the rear LCD.  

If you disable the shutter blanking the rear display, use the [INFO] button to display the exposure settings.  Now when you press the shutter, the settings remain displayed.  You can both focus and set exposure on the rear LCD, which is extremely useful for macro shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

According to Canon website the Eg eyepiece accessory diopters will fit the EOS R.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The Canon Eg diopter will fit the EOS R. Looks like they have revised the product to provide for the proximity sensor.

Annotation 2019-09-01 183130.jpg

Annotation 2019-09-01 183155.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements