cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOSR AC Adapter DC Coupler?

yichen
Contributor

I can't find EOSR AC adapter and DC coupler, anyone knows where to find it? I want to be able to shoot without needing to change a battery for studio stop motion. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

yichen
Contributor
Ah, never mind, see B&H has it at back-order.... However if anyone has experience using it please share. THanks.

I don't use the mirrorless series but have AC supply plus DC coupler for all of my cameras since I got used to having one when Canon included it as a standard item with my 1D Mark II back in 2005.  Although there are cheaper options, I wouldn't try to save money on the power supply and I have never had any issue with my Canon power supply and DC coupler sets.

For critical tasks, like a firmware upgrade, continue to use a well charged battery because you don't want a power dropout from the commercial supply during this critical operation.  Although a power failure during a file transfer shouldn't damage the files on the memory card as long as you are just copying and not moving the files if you are shooting tethered with files being saved directly only to an external device then a UPS powering both systems makes sense for a critical studio setup.

I suspect COVID will continue to interrupt the supply chain and create some lengthy backorder issues for some products for the next few months.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you for the awareness tips! I will go with Canon genuine ones. B&H has it as a kit and I am on backorder.

Works fine on the EOS R. I use it to shoot birds remotely on a motorized gimbal and stream to a computer near by. A session can take a few hours - never had an issue. I think it breaks full weather sealing on the R, but it's still pretty tight.

Thanks so much for sharing your EOS R with adapter experience! This helps and I feel better the money spent on expensive genuine product.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Hi Rodger.

I see that Canon has a dedicated AC adapter for the 1D X Mark III, but I also know that the Mark I batteries will work in the Mark III.

Do you think the LP4 AC adapter will work in the Mark III?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John,

I just tried it and the AC-E4 coupler and power source does NOT work with the 1DX III.  The 1DX III menu section indicates it will show the type of battery OR the type of household power adapter used under the tools (3) menu so it sounds like Canon is limiting what it will work with.  I don't have any non-Canon batteries but I wonder if they are using this "feature" to also prevent third party batteries from working?

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you for this information Rodger. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

You are welcome John!  When I bought my 1DM2 back in 2005, Canon bundled the AC adapter/DC coupler with the system and I used it many times.  Because I was used to having one, I ordered one for my 1DX Mark II when I bought it a couple of years ago but I have rarely used it because battery life is so good with the Mark II and it is even better with the Mark III.  I had to dig it out of the box to try with my Mark III last night and then I rechecked with the Mark II just to make sure the adapter/coupler was still working.

Unless you have a special need where the Mark III will be running for days at a time in time lapse or something similar, I don't think you will find the need for using an AC adapter with it.  After shooting a full high school football or a varasity and JV soccer game, my 1DX II would still have 3/4 battery remaining and the 1DX III is even more battery efficient.  And like many Canon accessories, the AC kit is ridiculously expensive sort of like the official Canon rain coats I bought for my telephoto primes. 

Rodger

Announcements