cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS80D & 60FPS

DarkWestern
Contributor

Hello everyone, I have endlessly researched this subject, googled and googled, read ancient forum posts from yesteryear, and nobody seems to have the same issue I have, so I figured I'd give this a shot.

I have a Canon EOS80D. I bought this camera because one of my favorite content creators has this very camera listed as their gear for their videos on YouTube.

Their videos appear on YouTube as 1080P 60 frames per second.

Before you finish typing that reply, I have extensively played with the settings, and I'm aware that the region settings determine frames per second.

The EOS80D allows up to 59.94FPS Or at least, that's the highest FPS I can find using the software on the camera.

There does not appear to be any setting for true 60FPS...

I've recorded videos using the 59.94FPS settings, and even used my video editing software to render videos in 60FPS despite the fraction of a frame between 59.94 and 60, but nothing I do enables that YouTube video settings after a video is done uploading to be viewed in 1080P/60FPS.

Does anyone know what I can do produce a video in 60FPS?

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and there's literally nothing on Google...

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Why don't you ask YouTube?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Well, Canon says that 60 (as opposed to 59.94) is not possible:

Untitled.jpg

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

DarkWestern
Contributor

Oh, sorry for double posting, but I wanted to include that I've also made sure my camera has the most recent firmware and software as of 7/25/2021

Unless your video equipment is capable of changing its system frequency to capture true 24 fps, you're not going to be able to record exactly 60 fps.

Note also that numerous manufacturers, web sites, etc. will ultimately round fps values.

I cannot speak to Canon's 1D C DSLR or the 1D line, but for 5D and below, in the US, captured frames will be 23.976 (typically shown as 23.98), 29.97, or 59.94 only.  There's no option to change the system frequency.

On an EOS C70, the default system frequency will lead to the same frame rates.  However, I can switch the system frequency to 24 Hz to capture true 24 and multiples.

EOS 5D IV:

eos_5D_iv_fps.png

EOS C70 with system frequency at 24 Hz:

eos_c70_fps.png

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Also, be sure when editing your videos, you choose an appropriate timeline for your actual source footage frame rate.  Otherwise, you will get out-of-sync audio; especially noticable with long-running footage.

For the above examples, I set up a 23.98 fps project for the 5D IV footage and a 24 fps project for the C70 footage.

--
Ricky

Thanks for the reply, Ricky. When I edit my videos, I tell it to render them in 1080P at 60FPS, but when I upload them, 1080P is the only option. It's weird that so many creators use this camera, and can produce 1080P/60FPS content, but I cannot. It's perplexing...

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Why don't you ask YouTube?  

I have, they just say that you must have a camera that can record in 60FPS, which, supposedly this camera is capable of doing.

@DarkWestern wrote:

I have, they just say that you must have a camera that can record in 60FPS, which, supposedly this camera is capable of doing.

As noted just above, I do not think the 80D can record at exactly 60 fps.  Personally, I do not see what difference it is going to make.  They will all playback at the same speed, anyway.

Waddizzle, you're most likely correct, I am very new to these things, but I am still very curious what secret other content creators with the same camera know that I do not which allows them to produce content in 1080P/60FPS.

I figured if anyone might know, they'd be around here and figured I'd at least ping out to see if anyone knew.

As I stated above, you cannot.  Most video equipment in the US do not allow one to switch the system frequency.  All captured video is in one of three frame rates: 23.976, 29.97, 59.94.

Just capture in 59.94, edit your footage in a 59.94 timeline, then upload.  Odds are, when you see things stating 60 fps, it's actually 59.94 anyhow.

--
Ricky

Announcements