cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS80D & 60FPS

DarkWestern
Contributor

Hello everyone, I have endlessly researched this subject, googled and googled, read ancient forum posts from yesteryear, and nobody seems to have the same issue I have, so I figured I'd give this a shot.

I have a Canon EOS80D. I bought this camera because one of my favorite content creators has this very camera listed as their gear for their videos on YouTube.

Their videos appear on YouTube as 1080P 60 frames per second.

Before you finish typing that reply, I have extensively played with the settings, and I'm aware that the region settings determine frames per second.

The EOS80D allows up to 59.94FPS Or at least, that's the highest FPS I can find using the software on the camera.

There does not appear to be any setting for true 60FPS...

I've recorded videos using the 59.94FPS settings, and even used my video editing software to render videos in 60FPS despite the fraction of a frame between 59.94 and 60, but nothing I do enables that YouTube video settings after a video is done uploading to be viewed in 1080P/60FPS.

Does anyone know what I can do produce a video in 60FPS?

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and there's literally nothing on Google...

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Why don't you ask YouTube?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Well, Canon says that 60 (as opposed to 59.94) is not possible:

Untitled.jpg

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

So we're right back at the start again, Ricky. I'm even more curious now how people with my identical setup are able to upload 1080P/60FPS if you're saying it's impossible to do so. I realize that a fraction of a frame per second isn't going to make much of a difference, but-

YouTube's settings during a video that control the quality of the video have options for 480P, 1080P etc and there are people which I've confirmed use the same gear as me that have the option to view in 1080P/60FPS.

It could very well be some locked feature of YouTube, or it could be a secret with the hardware that nobody seems to know, and I think at the end of the day, I'll just never know.

I thank everyone for their input though, I appreciate you all taking the time out of your day help 🙂

As I've tried to state twice so far, it's not possible with your gear.

There are only three possibilities of what you're seeing regarding the 60 fps value.  First is that the footage is being played back as 60 fps, even though it's actually 59.94.  For that, with long videos, audio will get out-of-sync.   Second, is that the footage is being played back at 59.94 (same as the footage itself).   And YouTube is simply rounding to the nearest whole frame (the vast majority of YouTube users would have no idea about the the fractional frames, so why show such values?  Third, someone with appropriate gear truly did capture 60 fps and it's playing back at 60 as well.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ricky, I don't believe you understand my issue. I have witnessed others achieve 1080P/60FPS using the gear I have. I specifically purchased all the equipment piece by piece so that I could achieve what I have witnessed others do with it.

"As I've tried to state twice so far, it's not possible with your gear."

So how are people with the same gear as me able to do it, and I am not?

"First is that the footage is being played back as 60 fps, even though it's actually 59.94. For that, with long videos, audio will get out-of-sync."

So how are people with my gear doing it, and without any audio issues, and I am unable to?

"Second, is that the footage is being played back at 59.94 (same as the footage itself). And YouTube is simply rounding to the nearest whole frame (the vast majority of YouTube users would have no idea about the the fractional frames, so why show such values?"

So then why doesn't my video using the same gear as them simply round to the nearest whole frame? There is some piece of the puzzle missing here, and that's why I'm here asking.

Third, someone with appropriate gear truly did capture 60 fps and it's playing back at 60 as well.

Perhaps that's true, but I've gone out of my way to confirm that I'm using the same gear as them, same camera, same everything.

Basically, how are other people able to achieve this, and I am not? We have the same camera, and they get 60FPS whereas I do not. I'm not sure how much more I can say regarding this issue to help you understand exactly what it is I am asking.

Thanks again.

Well, Canon says that 60 (as opposed to 59.94) is not possible:

Untitled.jpg

kvbarkley , I may just never know how other people are achieving this. I feel like you guys all brought your best info forth, and even though it says it's impossible, there are people out there doing it. I think I'll just have to let it go, I mean, you guys are probably the greatest wealth of knowledge on the subject, so if nobody here can explain it, then I doubt I'd have much luck anywhere else 😄

So thanks again to everyone who replied, but I think I'll close the book on this one and just write it off as an unsolved mystery.

That's the problem; other folks are not doing it (60 fps) with your gear.   This is my last reply as all prior replies have been completely disregarded.   If you don't wish to believe the facts, that's on you.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ricky, it is fact that people using the same gear as myself are producing the results I am not able to produce. You say your replies were ignored, but I even specially acknowledged you every single time and thanked you for taking the time to reply.I'd rather not ruffle any feathers, and I'm not one to argue, but I'd like to give a final scenario to help you understand where I'm coming from:

If I tell someone that I saw someone mix yellow and blue paint together, resulting in a green paint, and they don't believe it is possible to produce green paint, repeatedly telling them they're wrong and it's impossible over and over isn't really going to help. Even if it is impossible, despite seeing other people producing green paint by mixing yellow and blue, they're the ones that require more convincing, so what do you gain by repeating yourself when it's clear they read and acknowledged your words? [ This is a hypothetical question which does not require a response ]

Thank you all, especially Ricky, for the time put into these replies, none of you had to do it, and I truly am thankful that after years of wondering and researching, "it's impossible, despite other people doing it."  is as good an answer as I'll get because at least I tried to figure it out, and it's better than simply wondering without action at the end of the day.

So now that we've all had our final words, I will consider the topic closed [again], and consider the secret to be an impossible to solve X-File that will stay in a filing cabinet in the basement of some facility till the end of time.

@DarkWestern wrote:

kvbarkley , I may just never know how other people are achieving this. I feel like you guys all brought your best info forth, and even though it says it's impossible, there are people out there doing it. I think I'll just have to let it go, I mean, you guys are probably the greatest wealth of knowledge on the subject, so if nobody here can explain it, then I doubt I'd have much luck anywhere else 😄

So thanks again to everyone who replied, but I think I'll close the book on this one and just write it off as an unsolved mystery.

I would expect YouTube to report the playback speed, not the recording speed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Here is the Canon spec sheet.

I think it is apparent that Canon is using the vernacular description and clarifying what it really means.

Screenshot 2021-07-26 193654.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@DarkWestern wrote:

Basically, how are other people able to achieve this, and I am not? We have the same camera, and they get 60FPS whereas I do not. I'm not sure how much more I can say regarding this issue to help you understand exactly what it is I am asking.

It is a fact that they are shooting at 59.94 fps and calling it 60 fps as a convenience.

Frame rate isn't the only setting that will affect the look of your videos. Can you post a couple links to some of your video that you consider to be lacking, and some with the look that you're striving for?

It would probably be best to start a new thread instead of adding it on to this one.

Announcements