cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS7D Mk2 suddenly not pairing over wifi

navcomic
Apprentice

Hi,

(I know this problem was discussed about a year ago but that thread was with a different EOS camera.)

The process works correctly in that the camera is detected by the PC (smartphone pairing is OK) either in 'easy' or 'select a network' mode. I can enter the passphrase as required, depending on the connection type, and the camera connects to the PC fine. I know I am using wifi and not bluetooth so 'pairing' here refers to camera 'pairing' to the PC and not bluetooth 'pairing'. 

The problem is that when the EOS utility is then opened up on the PC and the 'pairing over wifi/lan' is operated, the pairing pop-up appears - but with no camera IP and so on as a possible connect list. The camera says that the pairing (connection) is in progress which is when I start the EOS utility.

This pairing over wifi used to work fine and I am wondering if any subsuequent windows updates may have introduced a problem. I do not wish to revert. The UPnP client is presumably running and the firewall (macafee) allows UPnP connections. Network discovery is on and the network (if an access point is used) is 'private'. As the actual 'connection' process with the PC is OK via wifi, I am assuming the problem is with the EOS PC software - somehow. I have reinstalled the complete suite twice - I did notice that V3.5 of the utility did not produce a pop-up but v3.7 does. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

navcomic
Apprentice
It is 1.1.2, Asabove, I have raised a ticket with canon support
Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How are able to use Wi-Fi with the 7D Mark II?  

Wi-Fi is not built into the 7D Mark II.  You need a special Wi-Fi card from Canon, and the latest software update.  Check the “Announcement” sections of the forum for the correct firmware version number.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

..... because I am using a wifi card. If I was not, I would not be able to do any wifi connections.

As I mentioned previously, the wifi was working before but is not now. The camera knows I am using a wifi card as it puts up a 'wifi function' option under the spanner screen 3 at the bottom....

@navcomic wrote:

..... because I am using a wifi card. If I was not, I would not be able to do any wifi connections.

As I mentioned previously, the wifi was working before but is not now. The camera knows I am using a wifi card as it puts up a 'wifi function' option under the spanner screen 3 at the bottom....

I see.  If it used to work for you before, but now it does not, then I suggest that you contact Canon support.  Obviously, something has changed related to how your camera connects to your PC.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@navcomic wrote:

Several months ago Canon issued a firmware update for the 7D2 that screwed up the use of the new Canon WiFi card. They then had to issue another update to correct it. If that's the card you're using, check the Canon site and make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Many thanks.

I think the camera firmware is OK as the camera paired OK with the PC when I first got it using the wifi card. I have not carried out any camera firmware updates since then. However, I suspect that subsuquent windows 10 updates may be causing a problem. What is interesting is that the camera pairs fine with the cannon app on a smartphone. This would seem to indicate the problem is to do with the PC - not the camera.

I have raised a ticket with Cannon UK and if I then get something useful from them, I will post it here. 

navcomic wrote:

Many thanks.

I think the camera firmware is OK as the camera paired OK with the PC when I first got it using the wifi card. I have not carried out any camera firmware updates since then. However, I suspect that subsuquent windows 10 updates may be causing a problem. What is interesting is that the camera pairs fine with the cannon app on a smartphone. This would seem to indicate the problem is to do with the PC - not the camera.

I have raised a ticket with Cannon UK and if I then get something useful from them, I will post it here. 

Just humor us for a few minutes. The problem to which we've alluded was an odd one involving, IIRC, both an operating system update and a poorly crafted response to it. A firmware fix finally set things right. We may be wrong in your case, but it doesn't take long to check it. Go to the menu and look at your current firmware level. If it isn't 1.1.2, then download 1.1.2 and install it. If that doesn't cure the problem, than it's time to consider more drastic measures, like calling Canon support.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

navcomic
Apprentice
It is 1.1.2, Asabove, I have raised a ticket with canon support
Thanks
Announcements