cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS70D Lens Compatibility with older Canon Models

JoeBklyn
Apprentice

I found a good deal on a canon EOS70D body and was wondering if the lenses from my 12 year old Canon would be compatible with it. I don’t have the old camera with me at the moment, so I can’t tell you what model it is.

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@JoeBklynwrote:

I found a good deal on a canon EOS70D body and was wondering if the lenses from my 12 year old Canon would be compatible with it. I don’t have the old camera with me at the moment, so I can’t tell you what model it is.

A 12 year old Canon DSLR is probably an EOS series, which would be lens compatible with your EOS 70D.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Any DSLR is an EOS, but also any film camera from that era.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The critically important bit is that these would need to be lenses for an “EOS” camera (film or digital doesn’t matter, but it must be “EOS”).

EOS lenses are electronically controlled.  The previous generation (FD series) were mechanical.  A 70D has no mechanical interface... only electronic. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Easy to the point answer, they will work.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

JoeBklyn
Apprentice
Thank you!

The key being as long as they are Canon produced lenses they will work.  Some of the third party lenses that did work with older EOS models won't function properly with new Canon bodies.  The third party makers reverse engineer their products and sometimes that means that although they will work with the bodies current at the time of production they may not be compatible with future releases from Canon.  Some of the more expensive but currently incompatible third party lenses sold for earlier generations of EOS can be updated by the maker.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements