cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS film camera with replaceable focus screen

shovax
Apprentice
Hi everyone, I have EOS 60D, but I always shoot also on film. Recently I go back more to films, becouse I got few kilometers TechPan film for free 🙂 On film I shoot on Praktica PLT3.
But I got some good lenses for my digital Canon, and I like to use them on film.
It seems, that EOS film cameras was produced just for AF lenses, so yes, I can use on them my EF lenses from digital, but I like to use also old manual lenses wth M42 adaptor, and there starts my problem.
What I found for now, focusing screens on EOS cameras havent anything to help manual focus, like some raster or split-screen.
Can you recommend some EOS model, which has a possibility to change focus screen, and also a model of this focus screen? Its hell trying to find any information about that, since all search results on google are about digital EOS... 
Thanks!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

EOS-1 and EOS-3 are two that I know of.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

The EOS EF-M was a MF only camera based on an EOS Rebel film camera that came with a split-prism screen. Because it was designed to be Manual Focus only, the focus screen is as bright and usable as any other film era Manual Focus camera.

EOS EF-M Review

In addition to the EOS 1 and EOS 3 series, the EOS 600, 620, 630, 650 series along with the with the EOS 7, A2, A2E series also had interchangeable focus screens. With some of these cameras you may have to go to a 3rd party to find a split prism focus screen. 

QuickGuide to EOS Focusing Screens

There is a company called www.focusingscreen.com which makes many different screens for many different cameras. They even make screens for cameras that weren’t designed to have user replaceable screens. (they have screens for the EOS 50 and EOS 7)

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

EOS-1 and EOS-3 are two that I know of.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The EOS EF-M was a MF only camera based on an EOS Rebel film camera that came with a split-prism screen. Because it was designed to be Manual Focus only, the focus screen is as bright and usable as any other film era Manual Focus camera.

EOS EF-M Review

In addition to the EOS 1 and EOS 3 series, the EOS 600, 620, 630, 650 series along with the with the EOS 7, A2, A2E series also had interchangeable focus screens. With some of these cameras you may have to go to a 3rd party to find a split prism focus screen. 

There is a company called www.focusingscreen.com which makes many different screens for many different cameras. They even make screens for cameras that weren’t designed to have user replaceable screens. (they have screens for the EOS 50 and EOS 7)

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

EOS EF-M Review

Thanks a lot, it looks interesting 🙂 I will check it later. For now, EOS 1N looks like best solution for me, with some of their focusing screen with microprism.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Your problem is you are trying to combine two different eras. Sorta like a Model T and a Mustang GT350.  You are better off just leaving them that way.  My F1n has interchangeable screens for film and FD lenses.  My 1DX has similar screen plus one for manual focus.

focusingscreen_1_xl.jpg

For M42 stick with your Praktica PLT3.  If you like the Praktica PLT3, well, almost any other camera, you will love! Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"... the spirit of photography and art."

All I can say is have at it. Whatever floats your boat but you are wrong about not having better lens today. No film era lens is equal to its counterpart today. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

you are wrong, not using the old ones. its so hard to stick to the topic? I simply wanted to know, which canon film camera has interchangeable focus screen. So thanks for nothing, mister "stick to the system". I guess youre an apple user, only that people can be so uncreative.

on the other hank, thank you, jrhoffman75 and MikeSowsun for your ideas, that was very helpful. shovax's out.

Announcements