cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS WFT software causing wireless network failure.

Adrian1953
Contributor

I have set up the Canon WFT pairing software and the EOS utilities on my windows 8 laptop computer.

Normally when connecting my camera wirelessly to my computer I use a TP-Link portable hub to which nothing else is connected and there is no internet connected, this works fine as I can use it easily anywhere I go without having to set up the WFT settings on the camera again for different wireless hubs ip addresses etc.

When I am not using the WFT software my computer will be connected to a different wireless hub for internet access and connection to other devices I live between two houses in different locations each has it's own virgin high speed wireless broadband  internet system.

The WFT Pairing software starts automatically when I start my computer whether or not I intend to use it.

Since installing the WFT pairing software I noticed my laptop had poor performance connecting to the internet via the wireless internet hubs with frequent disconnections and that other devices on the same wireless network also had problems and lost their connections. This also occurs when I visit friends when I use their networks.

At first I did not connect this issue to the pairing software, however it became evident it was this laptop causing the problem because it occures in every location I connected to a wireless hub.

I have now conclusively proved that after stopping the WFT pairing software in Windows Task Manager all devices connected to the wireless hub function normally again in all locations restart the pairing software and they will all fail again.

Is this a known problem? and is there a solution for it?

8 REPLIES 8

RixPix
Apprentice
I have the same problem and came to the same conclusion after spending a bundle on a new router. i hope more people see this before they spend money unnecessarily
Canon EOS user since 1987, I have owned nine bodies over the years. Currently shooting 70D EF-S 15-85 99% of time.

Hi RixPix.

Yes I thought I wouldn't be alone in this but I fear no solutions are available.  I have tried updating all the software from Canons Web site but the problem is still there.

Using the portable hub I can use the WFT for FTP but i have not succeded in getting the computer to recognise the camera wirelessly for the EOS to work neither will lightroom see it I am sure it did it once but never again I can only make these systems work when connected via usb.

All the help and formus on the internet that i have found only refer to Windows XP there is no help out there for anyone using Windows 8

I called Canon support. The rep had not heard of the issue. He said he would have an answer or workaround tomorrow.
Canon EOS user since 1987, I have owned nine bodies over the years. Currently shooting 70D EF-S 15-85 99% of time.

Hi RixPix.

I would be interested to know what they say or do, I am in the UK and I read in another thread that Canon USA do not support any issues raised by users in the UK, If that's true its a pity because I thought they were a global company and I would expect in USA they have a much bigger user pool so they might have more experience of these systems and might share any solutions, I have yet to find any support that can help in the UK.

I haven't heard back from them.  So I phoned again and got nowhere.  From the outside it looks as if there it is becoming an issue that must be addressed by rewriting their code.

Hi Y

Rix Pix 

Yep that was my guess as well, Hope they do sort it out. They might find they are in contravention of trades descrition laws in Europe if the goods don't work as advertised.

Currently shooting Canon 7D with a range of Canon lens (Mostly L lens) and genuine canon assessories.  Have used Canon isnce 1980 and have had 6 altogether (4 digital) and still have my film equipment from the early 1980s

Whatever the reason that the pairing software is hogging your wireless connections, the obvious solution is prevent it from running on startup. There are only a few ways to persuade Windows to start a program automatically, and all of them are fairly well known. So go look in the Startup directory, and in the Registry if necessary, and remove the WFT daemon. Then turn it on only when you need it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi RobertTheFat

Yes thats clear, Since I found it was the cause of the problem I have it's automatic start up disabled and I check with task manager to make sure it is not running when not using the WFT, then when I need it I start it manually but it doesn't change the fact that it causes the network problem when it is needed and running.

I have a suspicion that either Windows 8 or Norton 360 might be preventing it from detecting the camera and that it is constantly poling the network trying to find the camera, this could be the reason the network goes down.

An interesting fact is that I do not have any problem accessing anything in the house such as the NAS drive or printer or other computers when it is running, but it pulls down the external connections so i cannot get reliable internet connections which makes it difficult to get any remote help.

Announcements