cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility just ain't working with Windows 7

Dingus
Contributor

I've been reading lots of posts on the EOS Utility. There is obviously a problem with this working with Windows 7. Many many  people are having the same issue. It worked great with Windows XP.

Canon, please take note and please fix this issue.

I've read the posts and tried ALL of the fixes. None have worked so far.

So what's my problem.

I connect my 7D to my PC and the EOS Utility opens. It starts to download my images then WIndows 7's utility for downloading also opens. I select 'Start to download images' in the EOS U. The EOS Utility then disconnects/Fails.

I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers, software etc etc.

There is a problem here with Canon's software, but unfortunately I don't see Canon doing anything to fix it.

Canon. Can I pleeeeeeese have a fix from you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Great!  But I will reveal in the fact you got things working.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have Win 7 and EOS Utility and a 7D.  All three work flawlessly.

I do not understand this, "...  then WIndows 7's utility for downloading also opens."   What is Win 7 utility?

EB

Hi ebiggs1.

It's more of a 'Select device' thing in a control panel window.

After this window shows, the connection is lost.

screen.jpg

Get yourself a new USB cable and try a different USB slot on your computer.  This is not a EOS Utility problem.  Providing it installed correctly.

If you do not use EOS Utility does the 7D stay connected?  You don't need it to d/l your photos.

EB

Ebiggs1. I could kiss you. Won't though.

I just used a different USB slot and my download worked 1st time.

Thanks

Great!  But I will reveal in the fact you got things working.  Smiley Very Happy

EB

Hi, I see you have had some experience with this problem - EOS Utility not working in Windows 7, so I hope you don't mind me asking you, firstly I like alot of people had the utility installed on my pc and everything was hunky dory until now. I had already checked the lead, tried new leads and usb ports, I have read numerous threads to try and solve this problem and nothing - I do not run AVG either, actually this pc has no anti on it - as normally runs offline as a stand alone. I have been to Canons website and downloaded the utility again. Still nothing any ideas. Thanks

This problem took me a while to solve.

I found that when I connect a camera to a PC, it has to draw some power from the PC. If the PC voltage is just at or below the trigger voltage, the camera will disconnect as by connecting it will slightly lower this voltage level to below the triger level.

I had a number of USB sockets that kept failing. I kept changing ports until I found one that stayed connected. It's never failed since.

The USB port was one directly on my motherboard and not a PCI card.

Hi, I am not too sure if this was a reply to my post, re eos utility not working. You refer to the voltage running through the usb ports, I have tested the camera - eos utility now on three pc's non of which pick up or fire up eos grey outs, also all the usb ports are fine with every other appliance I plug in and the eos utility was fine on them until I presume the canon update. I am now desperate to get this working as I need it running for a job I have coming up, do you have any other ideas. Thanks Dave

Hi all,

EOS Utility Software - Fix Maybe? - Could it really be this simple?

I read a tonne of post/threads here - downloaded new versions, tested leads and usb ports, anti-virus(AVG) tested on 2x pc's and nothing, so I started again with the original disc.

I installed three of the four programs that are on the disc, obviously eos utility, but I didn't install the photo-stitch or music (whether or not this makes any difference I don't know - it's just what I did).

I noticed that on the canon opening screen (not the eos utility screen) - someone has kindly put a screen shot up of it in the forum (have a look if unsure) - it has four tab/buttons on it : the one on the bottom right hand side has or in my case did previously have a eos utility icon -  click on  'general settings button' - there are action options there to choose what you wish to the program to do on start up, my was set to 'no action' - as you can no doubt now guess I changed it to open with 'eos utility' and back in the room - I mean business - try it and I hope it works.

Announcements