cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 has stopped working - 5D Mark iv | Windows 10

cowland
Apprentice

I've been trying to simply download the photos from my 5d mk iv camera onto my Windows 10 PC.

Previously everything was working fine. In fact I was in the middle of downloading when my computer turned off

(not sure why, wasn't around at the time, Windows.....)

- got up to 400 out of 1500+ photos

Everytime I try to run EOS Utility 3 now with my 5d mk4 plugged in it crashes giving the error message:

"EOS Utility 3 has stopped working"

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Tried:

- uninstalling and reinstalling EOS Utility 3

- uninstalling and reinstalling drivers

- 5d into different USB ports

- Windows 10 .NetFxRepairTool.exe to restart .net service

- LASTLY: updating Windows 10 (which I normally try to avoid at all costs)

- resulting in my computer now being stuck in an infinite failed update loop (installs updates then goes "Windows Failed to install updates, rolling back" then goes "you must install updates again"). *#@$% Windows.....

- both my laptop and desktop are stuck in the same cycle

Nothing works, just get the same error message every time.

What's going on?? How can I download my RAW photos from my 5d Mark IV now?

5 REPLIES 5

Ray-uk
Whiz

Well until you get windows going again then you can't, at least not on either of your computers at the moment.

If you can't get out of the loop and use system restore ( which you should have used instead of update) then you will probably have to reinstall windows from the original system disk and then reinstall everything else as well.

@cowland wrote:

I've been trying to simply download the photos from my 5d mk iv camera onto my Windows 10 PC.

Previously everything was working fine. In fact I was in the middle of downloading when my computer turned off

(not sure why, wasn't around at the time, Windows.....)

- got up to 400 out of 1500+ photos

Everytime I try to run EOS Utility 3 now with my 5d mk4 plugged in it crashes giving the error message:

"EOS Utility 3 has stopped working"

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Tried:

- uninstalling and reinstalling EOS Utility 3

- uninstalling and reinstalling drivers

- 5d into different USB ports

- Windows 10 .NetFxRepairTool.exe to restart .net service

- LASTLY: updating Windows 10 (which I normally try to avoid at all costs)

- resulting in my computer now being stuck in an infinite failed update loop (installs updates then goes "Windows Failed to install updates, rolling back" then goes "you must install updates again"). *#@$% Windows.....

- both my laptop and desktop are stuck in the same cycle

Nothing works, just get the same error message every time.

What's going on?? How can I download my RAW photos from my 5d Mark IV now?

You haven't tried the one thing that's almost certain to work: Get a card reader, and use it to load the images onto the computer.

As for the Windows 10 update problem: When the updates fail to install, does it tell you what program(s) is blocking them? Windows 10 is currently undergoing a vast, complicated update (the "Creators Update") that apparently affects, and is affected by, a considerable number of 3rd-party programs. This update is not optional, but neither is it for the faint-hearted, and I suggest that you do some googling to help you understand what may be going on. I just got through it on the laptop on which I'm now typing, after fixing an obscure VPN problem that had blocked it for several days. But I'm recently retired after 50+ years as a computer programmer and system administrator, so YMMV. Good luck; you're probably going to need it.

All that said, though, I think Windows 10 is one of Microsoft's easier operating systems to use and maintain. Be glad you're not trying to cope with Windows 95, say, or an early edition of Windows 8.  Smiley Frustrated

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

A card reader might actually be a good idea. I'll probably try that if I can get this computer running again.

Trying to do a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 now.

Seems like its a problem with the USB drivers (and some of the other drivers provided by ASUS)

- running an ASUS Z170 motherboard

Got to the point where I've installed the 1st Windows update (~4GB) + Chipset + Graphics Card drivers - but then installing any software from ASUS (ASUS USB Drivers or AI Suite 3 (to control fans+other hardware) seems to go into a blue screen of dead spiral with system restore being the only way out.

Thinking I might have to leave the system running on only Windows Drivers and nothing else.

- still working on it, will see how it goes

I had similar problems when I upgraded to Windows 10, it just doesn't like a lot of the old drivers. It just refused to play with my graphics card and the driver that Windows supplied gave me a poorer performance. I eventually dumped Windows 10 and went back to Windows 7.

I agree with the card reader suggestion, I have always used one. Make sure you buy a good one and not one of the cheapies especially to use with CF cards. The quality of the sockets on the cheap CF readers can be poor and eventually damage or distort the connections on the card leading to damage of the cameras CF socket.

cowland
Apprentice

So did a complete reformat, reinstalled all drivers from scratch and now Windows 10 seems to be working.

Only weird/ irritating thing is that Windows seems determined to overwrite any drivers which I've installed.

- so installed ASUS USB drivers, then windows decided to promptly overwrite them... great.

- now whenever I insert a USB device (even the same device into the same port) it goes "device installing..."

At least it all works... for now.

Announcements