cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP - why blue tint using the adapter and EF 24 F2.8 mm IS USM lens?

amatula15
Enthusiast

Hi!

I demo'd at a photo store the EOS RP, which feels just great in my hands. I demo'd using an adapter and my EF 24 F2.8 mm IS USM lens.  One of my questions is:

Why did the photos come out with a blue tint (see photo - only change I made was to decrease the size)?

Color representation per image properties is sRGB.

I am hoping this would be an easy in-camera correction.

Thank you and all the best!

AnnieIMG_9896_smaller.jpg

24 REPLIES 24

It's hard to judge sometimes just how much background and experience a newer member might have. And occasionally someone will post a photo here and be surprised that we can identify the make and model of the camera and lens they used as well as all their camera settings, without them disclosing that information. It can get even more interesting if there's GPS information available.

DPP4 or any other RAW image software should supply you with this kind of complete EXIF data. Actually, I pulled the data above using a Firefox browser add-on called Exif Viewer. You just place your cursor over an image and right-click to access the EXIF info if it's still intact on the image.

Thank you, BurnUnit,
Re: "DPP4 or any other RAW image software ....Firefox browser add-on called Exif Viewer.."

I appreciate that info!!
Once I have a new computer set up, I will check that out - it will be very helpful I am sure.

BTW: I had not realized CS2 was my free-ware version of Photoshop. I actually never really noticed it until I opened Photoshop yesterday!

As for me, with all the research I have been doing on cameras, I do feel like a newbie; I have learned significantly more in the past few months than in the past 4+ years I have owned the SL1 -- it is very humbling; but I look forward to using some of that newly acquired knowledge 🙂

All the best!

"I had not realized CS2 was my free-ware version of Photoshop."

I don't mess with CS2, for a great long time anyway, but I doubt it will run on a Win 10 machine.  At least it won't run well if at all. PS will give you all the EXIF data, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Do you have any other photos?  I think it looks pretty normal for a blue building in the shade under a blue sky.

If you look at just the area to the left, it doesn't look so blue.

8FF689C2-133B-4AE6-855F-B9F10BA7D14C.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Hi,

Thank you!

Here it still seems blueish in the building, the snow (the snow is understandable though since over exposed)

IMG_9905_2smaller.jpg

Perhaps it is my montor - I will be upgrading!

Thank you for your help!

Annie

"If you look at just the area to the left, it doesn't look so blue."

The WB is off in your pic too.  Here is the corrected copy.

8FF689C2-133B-4AE6-855F-B9F10BA7D14C.jpg

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am hoping this would be an easy in-camera correction."

Annie,

I will suggest the problem is using CS2 and "manual" WB setting.  CS2 might be too old to render the RP correctly.

IMG_9896_smaller.jpg

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is the other pic.IMG_9905_2smaller.jpg

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Annie,

BTW, you gain nothing by saving a jpg at level 12. You just add file size.  10 is as high as currently needed.

Go try the RP again and this time set it to Average WB.

EB

BurnUnit
Whiz

If you're going to shoot JPEGs only, it will be best to set the camera's white balance for your lighting conditions, as much as possible. Surprisingly to me, the Automatic White Balance seems to do a pretty good job under most shooting conditions.

If you end up getting this camera be sure to at least try shooting in RAW as often as possible. Also be sure to download and install Canon's free RAW processing software, DPP4, and then experiment a bit with adjusting white balance (as well as other settings) after the fact. You should be able to easily make some really impressive improvements to images like the blue-tinged photo above.

Announcements