cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP external mic not working

javsonic72
Apprentice

I just bought a brand new Canon EOS RP.  I have an issue with the audio in any video mode. If I plug in an external mic (my lavalier Shure mic), the video is shot with no sound at all. Today I updated the firmware to version 1.5.0 (came out from factory with 1.4.0) and the issue remains the same (not solved). The mic works flawlessly on my iPhone. Sound recording settings on camera were set to manual, rec level aprox 60% and WindFilter/Attenuators off. When I unplugged the external mic, internal mic comes in and the sound works again, but I want to use my external mic for better audio quality. Any help is welcomed! Cheers from Cancún, Mexico

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

As a general rule, microphones that can connect to an iPhone are not compatible with DSLRs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

nord0306
Apprentice
My Rode shotgun mic has 2 black rings on the connector, which is the standard stereo connector. If you have 3 rings, one additional signal, for the microphone on a phone, then it will probably not be the right plug for the camera. (To expand on the above comment)

Thanks!! Good info. I'll check the connector on other mics, yes, my lavalier mic has TRRS connector (3 rings).

Announcements