Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
VIP

Re: EOS RP control ring.

A focus ring is not supposed to "click".  Why do you think the control ring is supposed to "click"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

From Canon USA - cost to change control ring click sound.

What is the Control Ring’s Clicking Sound Modification Service?

Canon’s control ring’s modification service offers RF lenses and Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R owners the opportunity to remove/reapply the control ring’s clicking sound.

The click action of the control ring allows the user to have a sense of how much it is being turned. However, if used during video shooting, the sound of the control ring operation may be recorded.

Pricing

ModelPrice*
RF Lenses$79.99
Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R$59.99

*Tax and freight fee are NOT included 
*All pricing is subject to change

Thank you, 
Customer Support Operations 
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

@busyretired wrote:

From Canon USA - cost to change control ring click sound.

What is the Control Ring’s Clicking Sound Modification Service?

Canon’s control ring’s modification service offers RF lenses and Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R owners the opportunity to remove/reapply the control ring’s clicking sound.

The click action of the control ring allows the user to have a sense of how much it is being turned. However, if used during video shooting, the sound of the control ring operation may be recorded.

Pricing

ModelPrice*
RF Lenses$79.99
Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R$59.99

*Tax and freight fee are NOT included 
*All pricing is subject to change

Thank you, 
Customer Support Operations 
Canon U.S.A., Inc.

That illustration is not your lens.  I do not think your lens is able to be modified like that.  I am also certain that the "declicked" control ring is by design.  After all, it is a focus ring.  Most RF lenses have BOTH a control ring and a focus ring.

13393AEE-8FCB-4E01-8F02-109DF296FB9B.jpeg

Your lens only has the single focus/control ring, which appears to serve a dual purpose.

B48919B8-F448-4037-A7AD-1D9F68B1023E.jpeg

[On lens has two control rings, and the other lens only has one.]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I finally got it solved - this lens has a switch on the barrel I didn't notice.

The front ring functions either as a control ring or focus control depending on switch position.

It works fine as a control ring now but doesn't click like other R lenses.

It must come from the factory with the click silenced.