cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-RP and tethering/Wi Fi

MarcyB
Contributor

I upgraded last year from a Rebel T3i to an EOS-RP mirrorless - a big jump as is turns out. I went to tether today and do not have the correct cable. Before I buy the cable (I figured which I need from Tether Tools), I want to be sure I'm doing this right.

I'm pretty sure the using this camera's WiFi won't work. It looks like it has very specific functions - SmartPhone control, printing, Canon Utility apps, and that is about it. Do I have this right?

As for tethering:

1) Lightroom

Does Lightroom support tethering for this camera? The EOS-R is on Lightroom's list, but the EOS-RP is not.

2) Helicon Remote

Does anyone have any experience with this? I love Helicon Remote's tethered control. They say if the camera has a tether cable that will transfer photos, it will work. I emailed them, but thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

MarcyB

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Lightroom seems to support tethering to almost every camera made.  I see no reason why the EOS RP would be excluded.  

Make sure the camera is in USB mode.  Make sure that you are using a USB data cable, not a USB power cable.

What is a Helicon Remote?  Is that a gimbal for video control?  If so, many of them rely on Bluetooth.  Contact the manufacturer regarding your issues with their gear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your response.

Helicon Remote is focus stacking software. You can tether the camera to the computer, and use Helicon Remote to take all of the photos to stack and then stack them. It is amazing to me that I can have the software control the camera, and it does a great job stacking too.

MarcyB

@MarcyB wrote:

2) Helicon Remote

Does anyone have any experience with this? I love Helicon Remote's tethered control. They say if the camera has a tether cable that will transfer photos, it will work. I emailed them, but thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

MarcyB

Hello MarcyB, and welcome to the forum!

I don't see the RP on Helicon's compatable cameras list. Have you tried it yet? I'm curious because they sometimes say something "should" work, and it doesn't or not completly Smiley Happy And you are correct, Helicon Remote and Helicon Focus are the bomb. I've been using them for years for flower macros.

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I have not tried Helicon remote tethered yet. I've been waiting for answers here, and from Helicon (surprisingly, none yet) before I bought the cable.

From the answers here, everyone is confident about Lightroom.

Helicon's FAQ page does say if the cable will transfer photos, which TetherTools says this one will, it should work tethereed too.

I think I'll get it now - it sounds like it should work.

Thanks,

Marcy

@MarcyB wrote:

I have not tried Helicon remote tethered yet. I've been waiting for answers here, and from Helicon (surprisingly, none yet) before I bought the cable.

<snip>

Helicon's FAQ page does say if the cable will transfer photos, which TetherTools says this one will, it should work tethereed too.

I think I'll get it now - it sounds like it should work.

Thanks,

Marcy

It's not a matter of if the cable transfers data for Helicon to work with the RP. It's whether or not their software can control the RP. IIRC, they are having trouble with Canon's mirrorless models, and the R and RP are the ones that people are complaining about not being supported. Check out the Helicon Remote forum. Catherine, the forum moderator, mentioned a Windows beta version, but I haven't had any luck with their betas. Go to their forum and click the link to get the Beta.

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

MarcyB,

Please check your messages, I sent you the Beta link from the helicon forum.

FD

Announcements