cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP-Won't turn off.

Hassett
Apprentice

Hi there 

My EOS RP won't turn off when I turn the dial to off.  The screen flickers and the shutter is making some noise as well.  Any thoughts out there?

13 REPLIES 13

SBK
Enthusiast

Have you tried to remove the battery to reset it ? Pls move the switch to off before removing the battery.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You have one of four problems and all of them are "bad": bad battery, bad lens, bad memory card, or a bad camera..

BATTERY:  Is it a genuine Canon battery?  Open the battery door.  It should shut off as soon as the door opens.

LENS:  Is it a genuine Canon lens?  Are you using a mount adapter?  Remove all of it when the power is OFF.

MEMORY CARD:  Is it full size card?  Never use the micro-SD cards that need full size adapters.  Remove the memory card.

CAMERA:  Remove everything from the camera, including the battery, memory card, and any lenses.  

Let'S test just the camera and just the battery.  Insert the battery, close the door, and turn on the camera.  If you can turn off the camera, then your lens or memory card is likely to be bad.  

If you still cannot turn it off without removing the battery, then you have a bad camera and need to contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

You have one of four problems and all of them are "bad": bad battery, bad lens, bad memory card, or a bad camera..

BATTERY:  Is it a genuine Canon battery?  Open the battery door.  It should shut off as soon as the door opens.

LENS:  Is it a genuine Canon lens?  Are you using a mount adapter?  Remove all of it when the power is OFF.

MEMORY CARD:  Is it full size card?  Never use the micro-SD cards that need full size adapters.  Remove the memory card.

CAMERA:  Remove everything from the camera, including the battery, memory card, and any lenses.  

Let'S test just the camera and just the battery.  Insert the battery, close the door, and turn on the camera.  If you can turn off the camera, then your lens or memory card is likely to be bad.  

If you still cannot turn it off without removing the battery, then you have a bad camera and need to contact Canon Support.

All Items are Canon, battery and Lense.  

I took everytihg out and remved the lense then put the battery back in, and with the power button in the off position. the camera comes to life.  

@Hassett wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

All Items are Canon, battery and Lense.  

I took everytihg out and remved the lense then put the battery back in, and with the power button in the off position. the camera comes to life.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yhoko
Apprentice

I had the exact same problem.

The mode wheel was set to A (automatic) and when I turned it to M (manual) the problem was fixed, even when turning it back to A.

Yhoko

Lotus7
Rising Star

It's possible that your firmware (which is stored in not always "non-volatile" memory) has become corrupted.  IF the camera seems to be functioning correctly when ON (controls and menu functions seem to work correctly), you might want to try reloading the firmware.  The current version of RP firmware which seems to be pretty stable and reliable is V 1.6.0 or more correctly "EOSRP160.FIR" and is easily downloadable from the Canon Support page.

However, IF the camera is not functioning correctly when ON, then trying a firmware reload is risky and can result in a 'freeze" while reloading the firmware.    If it were mine I'd try relaoding the firmware, but if that does not work, or if the camera locks-up during thet process, it still means a trip back to Canon Service.

The camera works completely fine and the problem didn't appear again since I turned the wheel.

Nevertheless I updated from 1.20 to 1.60, thank you.

Yhoko

You should find significantly improved performance moving from RP V 1.2 to RP V 1.6. 

In addition to the stability/reliability improvements you should notice:

1. Much better eye detection in portrait shots

2. Much improved autofocus detection of small objects

3. Faster autofocus point display response

4. Improved (more reliable) Wi-Fi/Bluetooth remote communications

5. Support and internal corrections for many new RF lenses

Hassett
Apprentice

Thanks everyone. 
I ended up sending the camera to canon for repair. It was a hardware issue. 

Announcements