cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP Issue - Turns ON by itself.

vp-eosrp
Contributor

When the power dial is set to "off" the camera powers "on" by itself and flickers "on" and "off" until the battery dies. I tried updating the firmware and removing all accessories, however the issue still persists. 

04/20/2021 UPDATE (for Canon techs): 

- The issue is present with / without the accessories (i.e. lens) attached.

- Tried removing the battery for a few days, and putting it back in. Issue still persists.

- If you insert the battery back in (with the SD card), it starts flickering again. Likewise, if you press the shutter button, it turns ON even though the dial is OFF. 

- I've tried hard resetting to factory defaults. Didn't solve the problem.

- Updated firmware, still not solved. 

* Will be sending it in for repair. Thank you to everyone who responded. 

Video #1:

Video #2:

35 REPLIES 35

I still have not found anything that fixes it. I am going to have to send the camera in for repair I think.

eddiemagic7
Apprentice
I am having the same issue right now… exactly the same even down yo how long it starter putting the battery back in…. Did they fix it and did they charge you for the repairs? It’s clearly a product flaw….I don’t know if I can go weeks without being able to work… that’s my only good camera I can work with…

I have a 3 year old RP that started having exactly what the previous postings mention, of the same issue of turning on by itself / draining the battery (multiple batteries, different SIM cards, etc.) about 6 weeks ago. It had worked without issue prior to that. I was wondering if any of the previous users sent their camera in for repair and what was the result?  Thanks.

From Canon “There aren't any product advisories related to power on the EOS RP, so there is a charge for the repair.”

I think Canon should acknowledge that they have an issue with this model. 

tshi5791
Apprentice

I am having the same issue with the EOS R. I called Canon and was told to send the camera in for diagnostics. I surely hope that they don't charge me arms and legs as this seems to be a faulty hardware.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It has been a while since I’ve last seen this thread.  In Video #2, what is that attached to the front of the camera?  I thought everything had been removed.  If that is a third party mount adapter, then definitely remove it and test it again.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

DTBoucher
Apprentice

I have a 3 year old RP that started having exactly what the previous postings mention, of the same issue of turning on by itself / draining the battery (multiple batteries, different SIM cards, etc.) about 6 weeks ago. It had worked without issue prior to that. I was wondering if any of the previous users sent their camera in for repair and what was the result?  Thanks.

pytagus
Apprentice

Hello, I had the same problem a few days ago and I found the solution 🙂
I simply removed the battery from the device for a full night and switched the wifi and bluetooth to OFF. Everything is working fine now. Currently my wifi and bluetooth settings remain on OFF because I don't need them. I hope it will work for you.

misterphotog
Apprentice

I also had this issue with an RP that is 5 years old and was only used as a third or travel/walkaround body. Spoke to a Canon rep about it November 2022 and was quoted $450+ for repair. He said the issue wasn't something they're aware of. I questioned that seeing many responses on this and other threads. Recently bought two new R6 cameras and now have two R's as backup so I've been avoiding using the RP as the battery goes pretty quickly once the "restart" happens. (I did discover that when "sleep" settings are in effect, it can be kept on for hours and it won't burn through the battery -- just don't turn it off!) So, today I picked it up and loaded a fresh battery for a hike and changed the lens from the 24-105 f4 that had lived on the body pretty much since new, and put on the 35 f1.8. The restart/turning itself on again issue is now gone! I had not turned off wifi or bluetooth. Placed the 24-105 back on there and it's still not misbehaving. WTF?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Disable all wireless communication, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, andGPS. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements