cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP Issue - Turns ON by itself.

vp-eosrp
Contributor

When the power dial is set to "off" the camera powers "on" by itself and flickers "on" and "off" until the battery dies. I tried updating the firmware and removing all accessories, however the issue still persists. 

04/20/2021 UPDATE (for Canon techs): 

- The issue is present with / without the accessories (i.e. lens) attached.

- Tried removing the battery for a few days, and putting it back in. Issue still persists.

- If you insert the battery back in (with the SD card), it starts flickering again. Likewise, if you press the shutter button, it turns ON even though the dial is OFF. 

- I've tried hard resetting to factory defaults. Didn't solve the problem.

- Updated firmware, still not solved. 

* Will be sending it in for repair. Thank you to everyone who responded. 

Video #1:

Video #2:

35 REPLIES 35

DigitalByDesign
Contributor
Between the 4K/8K video recording overheating the pro-level camera bodies and now an EOS RP turning itself on, Canon products present additional reasons to not buy them. That the camera turns itself on even with the switch off makes me wonder if there's a bad contact configuration inside the unit and there's something creating an intermittent connection or arcing current. I would think with a switch for power being binary, on or off, it would be dead simple for a device to be off when turned off. Maybe it is a new "feature" Canon added to that product? You know, it's an AI camera that will take photos for you unattended or something of the like.
Still have - AT-1, AE-1 Program, Rebel II; Kalimar K-90/1000 Pentax clone
Rebel T7 gifted to me - A reminder to *always* examine a new camera in person, not trust reviews and reviewers (Deleting the center hotshoe contact? Really?)
Fotodiox lens adaptors for Canon FD and Pentax K to EOS EF mounts.
Former film fanatic, digital by design now as I rekindle my love of photography

Thanks for the response. I only use the camera for photography, so its definitely not an overheating issue.

The R5 and R6 are the only potential "flameballs" currently. 

vp-eosrp

Is that 24-105 actual RF glass, I can't tell conclusively from the video?  (looks like it)??  If an adapter is involved..  is it canon brand?

Also what were you doing before the camera starts to flicker?   Are you saying it randomly starts to flicker when its been sitting turned off randomly?

Recommendation: this is not the time to be flashing firmware - hoping to solve a problem. Clearly the camera is malfunctioning or is unstable.

Have you reset the camera to defualts?

Are you using a OEM Canon battery?

We need a little more information and any backstory.  When it started..  can it be reproduced, other observations, etc?

Next step is contacting Canon if the above options have been exhausted.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your insight.

It is not using an adapter. It is a native RF-lens made for the EOS R series. The battery and everything else is Canon.

Prior to the issue occurring, I did a internal sensor cleaning, before turning it off. After that, it started acting up as shown in the video.

I have tried reset the camera to factory setting, but to no avail.

@vp-eosrp wrote:
Thanks for your insight.

It is not using an adapter. It is a native RF-lens made for the EOS R series. The battery and everything else is Canon.

Prior to the issue occurring, I did a internal sensor cleaning, before turning it off. After that, it started acting up as shown in the video.

I have tried reset the camera to factory setting, but to no avail.

Cleaning the sensor, and then it started?  Sounds like a visit to Canon for inspection is what it best.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I would make sure the battery and card doors are tight.  When you close either of those the camera does a check and if one is loose it could be that is what is happening.  I would be particulary suspisious of the battery door as it is removable.

Battery door is secure. Not the issue, because I can still shoot with no problems when the dial is turned 'ON'.

Sounds like it's clearly a hardware issue, possibly a poor ribbon cable connection.  The "ON-OFF" switch in a RP, just like the "ON-OFF" switches in most Canon DSLRs built in the last 11 years, just tells the processor the camera is "OFF", but does not actually disconnect the battery.  Power is used for various functions like keeping the processor clock "super-capacitor" charged, and for recognizing a memory card insertion.  It's never really completely turned-off.

It's a long-shot, but if it's a software error, you might try removing the battery, then turning the "ON-OFF" dial to "ON" and letting the camera sit for an hour or so to discharge and reset any registers that are not reset by using the Reset Factory Setting function.

Do you observe the same power cycling when the lens is removed and replaced by a body cap? If not, it may be related to a lens "issue".

Otherwise you should expect to be shipping the RP back to Canon for service.  If that doesn't work, sacrificing a live chicken at midnight under a full moon for the Canon Gods my be your only solution.

Same issue with and without the lens.
I've also removed the battery for a few days and tried it again; still presenting the same problem.

The sacrifice may bring miracles.You never know. lol.
Announcements