cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP HDR defaults to JPG

Crey23
Contributor

So occasionally I use the HDR feature in camera.  The issue is that it outputs in JPG only, which is fine, but it also defaults the camera to shooting only JPG files.  Today I took a ton of shots after the had set, and really struggled to recover much out of the JPG.  

Please canon...RP Firmware update make it so that once HDR option is disengage, it reverts to whatever the user had set the format to, or allow this and bracketing as custom functions.  I lot about 90% of my images today to JPG...Very dissapointing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You should contact Canon at 1-800-OK-CANON. This is most likely a programming eror since there is no discussion in the manual about that behavior.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That is how HDR images are created in that camera.  That is probably not going to change.  Every intermediate level camera by Canon that feature in-camera HDR image capture only work with JPEG images.  There are created from JPEGs and saved as JPEGs.

In fact, you must first enable save only as a JPEG before the HDR feature is enabled in the menus.  In other words, you must first change from RAW to JPEG before you can enable HDR capture.  So, there is no reason for it to automatically change to RAW format after you capture a set of images.

I do HDR processing in post, where I can use uncompressed RAW files, which recovers much more details in shadows.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for the reply.  

In the case of the RP, is that it does not require me to chage my image setings to JPG...it does it automatically...which is the issue, as I wasn't prompted for anything, so I didn't realize I was shooting in JPG until i got home.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I just downloaded the manual. The RP does seem to have a different operating sequence from previous cameras.

Canon, you guys need to remove the automatic switch to JPG format here. Stick to making the user change it.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You should contact Canon at 1-800-OK-CANON. This is most likely a programming eror since there is no discussion in the manual about that behavior.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you!  I'll try that!

msmouse
Apprentice
Thank you for pointing out the reason my camera keeps switching to JPG lol.. several days of shooting ruined in my case.....

@msmouse wrote:
Thank you for pointing out the reason my camera keeps switching to JPG lol.. several days of shooting ruined in my case.....

Another suggestion for Canon: Every camera with a single-digit model number should default to RAW mode. On one or two occasions I've had a 7D come back from a cleaning reset to factory settings and found myself shooting JPEG because I sisn't notice.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

moucher
Apprentice

Here it is some four years later, and I just got hit with this bug. On a trip to Rome, decided to try HDR. Didn't realize until I got home that every photo thereafter was shot in sh*ty JPEG. To me this is a major issue to change shooting mode like this without any warning.

Announcements