Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

EOS RP HDR defaults to JPG

So occasionally I use the HDR feature in camera.  The issue is that it outputs in JPG only, which is fine, but it also defaults the camera to shooting only JPG files.  Today I took a ton of shots after the had set, and really struggled to recover much out of the JPG.  

Please canon...RP Firmware update make it so that once HDR option is disengage, it reverts to whatever the user had set the format to, or allow this and bracketing as custom functions.  I lot about 90% of my images today to JPG...Very dissapointing.

Highlighted
VIP

Re: EOS RP HDR defaults to JPG

That is how HDR images are created in that camera.  That is probably not going to change.  Every intermediate level camera by Canon that feature in-camera HDR image capture only work with JPEG images.  There are created from JPEGs and saved as JPEGs.

In fact, you must first enable save only as a JPEG before the HDR feature is enabled in the menus.  In other words, you must first change from RAW to JPEG before you can enable HDR capture.  So, there is no reason for it to automatically change to RAW format after you capture a set of images.

I do HDR processing in post, where I can use uncompressed RAW files, which recovers much more details in shadows.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  

In the case of the RP, is that it does not require me to chage my image setings to JPG...it does it automatically...which is the issue, as I wasn't prompted for anything, so I didn't realize I was shooting in JPG until i got home.

VIP

I just downloaded the manual. The RP does seem to have a different operating sequence from previous cameras.

Canon, you guys need to remove the automatic switch to JPG format here. Stick to making the user change it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor

You should contact Canon at 1-800-OK-CANON. This is most likely a programming eror since there is no discussion in the manual about that behavior.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Occasional Contributor

Thank you!  I'll try that!