cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP Cutting HDMI Feed After 30 Min

luxurysedan3030
Apprentice

Hello all, I've searched the web high and low and I can't figure out why my EOS RP is cutting the HDMI feed after 30 minutes. Yes, I am streaming to a capture card with it, and I realize you can try out the "webcam" utlitiy, but streaming from this camera was possible before that, so I know it can be done. The webcam utility is kinda limited right now. As far as I can tell, it is going into a sleep or idle mode, it isn't cutting all power. Facts about my setup are below:

Firmware - 1.4

Eco Mode - Off

Display Shuttoff - 30 min (max setting)

Auto Power Off - Disabled

Connection - Mini HDMI to Capture Card

Dummy Battery? - Yes

To me, it seems like this all centers around the display shutting off. I'm experiencing the hdmi feed cut at 30 minutes which is the max setting for the display shutoff. For some reason, this is also killing my hdmi feed. 

Things I haven't tried:

-Simultaneously plugging in USB C to see if that keeps it "awake"

-Turning on AF in hopes the constant change in focus keeps the camera "awake"

-Running EOS Utility in background on computer

-Keeping screen closed during streaming so its already "off"

-Turning off the setting for Auto where it selects where to send the video (screen or viewfinder). Not sure the name of this setting off the top of my head. 

Is there anyone out there who successfully streams from an EOS RP that could screenshot me some of their settings, maybe even the more obscure ones, so I could compare? I've gotta be missing something. 

6 REPLIES 6

Any time one sees "video" and "30 minutes" in the same sentence, it's tempting to blame it on the restriction of a film camera to 30 minutes of video to keep it from getting taxed as a video camera by the European Union. I have no idea why that should apply in this case, but I suppose it's worth considering.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You're right, Bob, many people do seem to blame that from what I see online. But yeah, I'm not recording, all the camera knows is that it is "on." Plus, I know several streamers who use an RP and it isn't an issue they are having. It's just getting all the right settings from those people is the hard part. 

@luxurysedan3030 wrote:

You're right, Bob, many people do seem to blame that from what I see online. But yeah, I'm not recording, all the camera knows is that it is "on." Plus, I know several streamers who use an RP and it isn't an issue they are having. It's just getting all the right settings from those people is the hard part. 

I am pretty sure setting the camera up for clean HDMI output should be covered in the full User Manual.  You can download it from the same Canon Product Support page where you download software, manuals, and firmware updates.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thomasumstattd
Apprentice

I have the exact same problem. Were you able to find a solution?

larryhuang
Apprentice

I also wanted to live stream with EOS RP.  I was about to sent it to RIP when I came up with a solution.

I used "Canon Camera Connect" to link my phone with EOS RP, and the HDMI feed would not cut off after 30 minutes as long as "Canon Camera Connect" is connected with it.

Thanks so much for documenting this behaviour. I just tested your workaround. The HDMI output from the EOS RP is still active after at least 45 minutes which means this setup is suitable for Zoom meetings.

- Pie Lover

Announcements