cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP - Battery Draining When Camera is Off

rwmorey
Contributor

Hi --

I have a Canon EOS RP that I just purchased about a month ago. 

I am having a very frustrating issue where the camera battery is draining in about two days when the camera is off.

I have made sure that both the GPS and the WIFI are OFF but the battery still drains.

I have three different batteries - the one the camera came with plus two Artman batteries that I purchased when I bought the camera and all three batteries drain.

As a work around I remove the battery from the camera when I'm done using it but obviously this should not be happening! Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Rich

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure that Bluetooth is OFF, too, if it has it.  I think it does.  Try removing the memory card, but leave a battery in.  I am curious to see if that might make a difference.  If it still acts up, its' time to contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

HI -

Bliuetooth is off also. I upgraded the firmware from 1.4 to 1.5 today so I'll see if that makes a difference. If not I will remove the SD card and test again.

Thanks

Rich

John_SD
Whiz

@rwmorey wrote:

I have three different batteries - the one the camera came with plus two Artman batteries that I purchased when I bought the camera and all three batteries drain.

If each battery drains in about 2 days' time, with the camera off, I would not be wasting anymore time trying this, that and the other. Contact Canon. This should not be happening.

I spoke to Canon yesterday and will ship the camera back on Monday.

Another thing they suggested was to remove the "smart" lens adapter which I did and the battery drained 50% instead of completely so definitly something wrong. 

Rich

@rwmorey wrote:

I spoke to Canon yesterday and will ship the camera back on Monday.

Another thing they suggested was to remove the "smart" lens adapter which I did and the battery drained 50% instead of completely so definitly something wrong. 

Rich

That should have been one of the first things you did.  If I had known you had one installed, I would have included it in my earlier post to remove the lens, memory card, and everything also attached to the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I got the "repaired" camera back from Canon yesterday and they sent me a brand new battery which I charged and then installed in the camera and left it over night. Today the camera still had a full charge.

I will test my other batteries - the one that came with the camera and the two after market batteries I purchased - and see if they all hold a charge as well.

Rich

@rwmorey wrote:

I got the "repaired" camera back from Canon yesterday and they sent me a brand new battery which I charged and then installed in the camera and left it over night. Today the camera still had a full charge.

I will test my other batteries - the one that came with the camera and the two after market batteries I purchased - and see if they all hold a charge as well.

Rich

Glad to hear that the battery is still full a day after being fully charged. That's how it should be. I myself just got an EOS RP a couple weeks ago, and have not had any overnight battery-drain issues with it. 

I have two Canon LP-E17 batteries -- the one it came with and one I bought as a spare. I did my research and knew the battery had an awful CIPA rating of about 250 shots per charge. My first charge got me about 360 shots in the field, and I didn't really try to conserve, just to see how much juice I could get. I turned the Mode guide off but left the Feature guide on along with just about every other power-sucking default. The only thing I changed was I set the LCD screen timeout to 0 seconds and EVF timeout to about a minute. That may have bought me a little juice. I didn't even set ECO mode on. I feel confident that by really setting up the camera's various power-saving options, I can get 450+ shots per charge, maybe more. I am not a spray and pray or run and gun shooter. And I don't use video. So I expect battery life I can live with. 

Anyway, I myself am really enjoing the RP. As this is my first FF camera as well as mirrorless, I discovered that the the tech got in the way of my photography at first, though growing familiarity and comfort with the system is reducing that daily. Canon recently announced the RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens. It is the smallest lens of its kind I believe I've seen and should partner well with the RP. I plan to place my pre-order in about a week.  

The first of the two third party batteries held a charge overnight last night so I'm going to assume the second one will as  well as the Canon battery that came with the camera originally will so I will only post again if they DON'T hold a charge!

nikferios
Apprentice

Hello. I own the RP since it launched, never had any problems and I'm currently on f/w 1.4. All of a sudden in the last couple of weeks I'm facing the same issue. I have three batteries, all Canon LP-E17 and it happened with all three. The problem first occured when I downloaded the EOS webcam utility and used the camera as a webcam so I was wondering if it had something to do with this. Then tonight as I was working on my computer and had the camera sitting on the desk next to me I noticed the activity light started blinking even though the camera was switched off. I looked through the viewfinder and it seemed off but when I pressed the shutter button it came on as well and the camera tried to focus. Turned the power switch to on then back to off and been staring at it for the past hour now to see if it happens again which would explain the battery drainage. I will try to contact Canon service on Monday and will post any updates here.

Announcements