Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
VIP

Re: EOS R6 reports

The introduction of the PayBoo card at B&H followed closely on the heels of a new federal law that says online vendors must charge customer their state's sales tax on all purchases.  The days of no online sales tax are supposed to be thing of the past.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
VIP

"The 1D4 has an APS-H crop sensor, ...  The 1Ds3 has a full frame sensor.  Both cameras have the same AF system."

I love my 1D Mk IV. It is a keeper.  I sold off my 1Ds Mk III.  You can tell it is somewhat older then the Mk IV but still a viable camera.

"... the only used 1D bodies I would recommend buying."

I almost totally agree with that.  Except if you can put up with few small quirks the 1D Mk IIn is a buy right now.  You still get most of the 1 series experience for little money.  I still have mine and intend on keeping it. IMHO, I would take it over a R6 any day all day long.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do see the absolute value in a 1D series.  Even at lower res, the colors they are able to capture cannot be ignored.  They are brilliant.  A little large for me and and you know how I like my articulating screens.  

I use BB so I can touch and feel stuff.  

I have a Payboo card.  30% APR, but I only use it to defraud, I mean avoid paying 9.5% here in CA.  I pay the bill in full so it works for me.  Only drawback with B&H for me is 1 week shipping times, but I can live with it.  Their service is worth it.  Buying from Canon is good too.  Gov only gets 6.5% when I go that route.

Still in wait and see mode.  Haven't decided if we are going to cancel Alaska in July.  I think the worst will be over before then, but not sure about the residual health risks.   I'm not keen getting stuck on a ship.  I think it departs from Seattle too.  CA is on a strict lockdown.  At least I can still walk to the beach and take pictures without getting "in trouble".

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@shadowsports wrote:

I do see the absolute value in a 1D series.  Even at lower res, the colors they are able to capture cannot be ignored.  They are brilliant.  A little large for me and and you know how I like my articulating screens.  

I use BB so I can touch and feel stuff.  

I have a Payboo card.  30% APR, but I only use it to defraud, I mean avoid paying 9.5% here in CA.  I pay the bill in full so it works for me.  Only drawback with B&H for me is 1 week shipping times, but I can live with it.  Their service is worth it.  Buying from Canon is good too.  Gov only gets 6.5% when I go that route.

Still in wait and see mode.  Haven't decided if we are going to cancel Alaska in July.  I think the worst will be over before then, but not sure about the residual health risks.   I'm not keen getting stuck on a ship.  I think it departs from Seattle too.  CA is on a strict lockdown.  At least I can still walk to the beach and take pictures without getting "in trouble".

I do not discount the quality or power of the 1D. It is just that considering what is right around the corner for us, a 1D model is going to become a relic of the past. Now, if I already had a 1D and were spending my day sitting in the stands shooting kids' sports, or at the local stock car or bicycle races, or sitting in a lawn chair shooting photos of the kiddies at play, then I would hang on to my 1D. But for those of us who are on our feet outdoors in rugged country all day -- the desert, the mountain trails, the forests, a slippery and rugged coastline -- then no, given the choices we have today, I am not interested in walking around in these environments with a brick around my neck. It is simply unnecessary, and it why increasing numbers of enthusiasts and pros around the world are making the switch to mirrorless. 

I have high hopes for the R5/R6. The RP was a bit of a joke from day one, and the R was a prototype hampered by some unfortunate design choices, chief among them was the awful and widely panned touch bar, that Canon to its credit has rightly abandoned in favor of the traditional joystick. I think the 5 and the 6 will find target audiences with pent-up demand eager to embrace these cameras. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

John,

A mirrorless equivalent to the 1 series is still going to be a "brick" as you put it because that is what happens when you design a body with a highly ergonomic control layout and a structure designed for rough use, weather sealing to shoot in horrible conditions, and the ability to properly hold very heavy telephoto primes.  For weight comparison purposes, the far more capable 5DIV weighs 200 grams more than a R when both have their battery mounted and the 5DIV will take many more images without needing a second battery.

Quite simply the mirror mechanism doesn't weigh that much and if you make a 1DX performance and handling equivalent without a mirror it will be only slightly lighter and then IT will also need a second battery for sports use where it may be used to capture several thousand images in a few hours, something it easily does now with a single battery.

The 1DX isn't needed for those uses you list unless the better weather sealing is important to you and it is to me given the amount of rain I have hiked in while in the Great Smokies and the glass in my Lowepro backpack weigh more than the body.  But a 5, 6, or 7 series (or a higher end Rebel) will cover the needs of most people just fine and I use my 5DS R quite often when I don't need the heft of a 1 series to provide great ergonomics when mounted to a lens that weighs 5 times or more what a 5D body weighs.  The number of people who need 1DX performance and ergonomics is fairly small and a lot of people buy 1 series who probably shouldn't.  But if you truly need and have used a 1 series then it is pretty easy to cut through the "blither blather".

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Highlighted
VIP

@John_SD wrote:

I have high hopes for the R5/R6. ...... I think the 5 and the 6 will find target audiences with pent-up demand eager to embrace these cameras. 

But for those of us who are on our feet outdoors in rugged country all day -- the desert, the mountain trails, the forests, a slippery and rugged coastline -- then no, given the choices we have today, I am not interested in walking around in these environments with a brick around my neck.

I have high hopes for the R5 and R6, too.  Like I said earlier, if one of my current bodies break, the RF mount is the direction. I will be looking at first.  The RF mount is also an excellent upgrade path for Rebel users, and probably for many mid-range camera users, too.

Do you really hike through rugged country with a camera on a strap around your neck?  You do not carry a bag?  

I do not like the feel of camera on a neck strap, not even my Rebel T5 with a kit lens.  I always carry my camera(s) in some type of bag.  It is much more comfortable, and much more safer for the camer body.  Besides, I need to have two free hands when I am hiking and climbing slopes and hills.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Waddizzle wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

I have high hopes for the R5/R6. ...... I think the 5 and the 6 will find target audiences with pent-up demand eager to embrace these cameras. 

But for those of us who are on our feet outdoors in rugged country all day -- the desert, the mountain trails, the forests, a slippery and rugged coastline -- then no, given the choices we have today, I am not interested in walking around in these environments with a brick around my neck.

I have high hopes for the R5 and R6, too.  Like I said earlier, if one of my current bodies break, the RF mount is the direction. I will be looking at first.  The RF mount is also an excellent upgrade path for Rebel users, and probably for many mid-range camera users, too.

Do you really hike through rugged country with a camera on a strap around your neck?  You do not carry a bag?  

I do not like the feel of camera on a neck strap, not even my Rebel T5 with a kit lens.  I always carry my camera(s) in some type of bag.  It is much more comfortable, and much more safer for the camer body.  Besides, I need to have two free hands when I am hiking and climbing slopes and hills.

Well, I don't loop the camera directly over my neck, like it's a large necklance. I wear mine crosswise, slung over my shoulder, the camera at my side, waist level, like a guitarist would sling a guitar. It does keep my hands free, as I can grab the camera at a moment's notice. I tried a bag earlier on and didn't care for it. Lost too many shots stopping to fish the camera out of the bag. Maybe a BlackRapid setup might work for me than a normal strap. 

Highlighted
VIP

Black Rapid Sport...............+1 Smiley Happy

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
VIP

"Well, I don't loop the camera directly over my neck, like it's a large necklance. I wear mine crosswise, slung over my shoulder, the camera at my side, waist level, like a guitarist would sling a guitar. It does keep my hands free, as I can grab the camera at a moment's notice. I tried a bag earlier on and didn't care for it. Lost too many shots stopping to fish the camera out of the bag. Maybe a BlackRapid setup might work for me than a normal strap. "

I use a Black Rapid Sport all of the time when I am in one general location.  I do not use it while moving around, or hiking about.  I use a Lowepro Toploader Holster when I am hiking about.  If something happens so fast that is gone in a couple of seconds, I accept it and move on.  There is probably other stuff that ones and goes just as fast that I never noticed, at all.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

The resolution difference between 20MP, 24MP, and 26MP is not a great as you seem to think.  The shot below is 12MP.  Home of the best hamburgers on the planet, IMHO.  Legend says they invented the hamburger.

7911962C-F8BA-4C07-BCF4-54B7A21F13EF.jpeg

I am not so sure I want an IBIS sensor, either.  Cleaning them is not as straight forward as a conventional sensor.  The IBIS mechanism adds $300 to $400 hundred to the cost of a replacement sensor.  Sony has been waging a price war to corner the mirrorless market.

Perhaps not a big difference between 20MP and 24/26, but the R5 will likely be in the 40MP to 45MP range, and you will see the difference there, if not with the R6. While Canon hasn't disclosed the exact specs of the R6's sensor resolution, we know it will be capable of 8K video capture, suggesting a sensor in the 40+ range. We shall see. And I for one definitely want the IBIS, despite the cleaning issue. 

As for the best burger on the planet, that award must go to Hodad's, the original location in Ocean Beach, CA, a part of the San Diego scene. Of course, every town of any size has a place that serves "the world's greatest hamburger"!